Meat Science Quiz Bowl Team takes third at Reciprocal Meat Conference
Texas Tech's Meat Science Quiz Bowl Team rolled to a third place finish last month at the American Meat Science Association's Reciprocal Meat Conference in Fargo, N.D. "This group of students worked extremely hard and it showed in Fargo," said Loni Woolley, a meat science graduate student and one of the team's coaches.
Quiz Bowl Team members work for months to learn information related to aspects of meat science including history, microbiology, processing, marketing and any other contemporary or important topics in the industry, she said. Teams of three compete in a predetermined bracket against various universities across the nation.
"They're a talented group and I look forward to taking them back to RMC [Reciprocal Meat Conference] next year," Woolley said. Team members included:
- Drew Cashman, a senior from New Windsor, Md.
- Bo Hutto, a junior from Hondo
- Faith Jurek, a senior from Goldthwaite
- Mandy-Jo Laurent, a senior from Nacogdoches
- Kassandra Ognoskie, a sophomore from Orting, Wash.
- Heather Rode, a junior from Doss
- Zach Smith, a senior from Sweetwater
- Whitney Stuart, a senior from Fresno, Calif.
- Christy Woerner, a sophomore from Fredericksburg
The team was coached by Woolley and Andrea Garmyn, a post-doctoral research associate with Tech's Department of Animal and Food Sciences.
According to program officials, the objectives of the American Meat Science Association Intercollegiate Quiz Bowl are to enable interaction among students from different universities, to stimulate students' desire to accumulate and retain knowledge, and to provide a forum for universities to engage in friendly competition. The competition is facilitated by the American Meat Science Association, which works to foster community and professional development among those who work to provide a safe and high-quality meat supply.
Written by Kelsey Fletcher
CONTACT: Andrea Garmyn, post-doc research associate, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2805 ext. 276 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It