CASNR faculty, staff leaders take spotlight at Merket Alumni Center
Eight faculty and staff members were honored for service and support of Texas Tech University's College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources today (Aug. 22) during a special evening ceremony at the Merket Alumni Center.
The 2012 award recipients included:
- Teaching Award: David Doerfert, Department of Agricultural Education and Communications
- Research Award: Noureddine Abidi, Department of Plant and Soil Science
- Junior Faculty Award: Jennifer Moore-Kucera, Department of Plant and Soil Science
- Service/Outreach Award: Gad Perry, Department of Natural Resources Management
- Student Advising Award (graduate): Brad Johnson, Department of Animal and Food Sciences
- Instructor Award: Gaea Wimmer, Department of Agricultural Education and Communications
- Staff Award: Renee Dillon, Department of Natural Resources Management
- Research Staff Award: Samantha Borgstedt, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics
Earlier in the day, CASNR faculty participated in a facilitator workshop that focused on writing communications; motivation to teach; academic integrity and ethics; and service learning. Leading the groups were Lady Falls Brown, director of Tech's Writing Center; Janice Killian, professor and chair of Music Education in Tech's School of Music; Jay Killough, director of Tech's Career Center; Justin Louder, director of Tech's Ethics Center; and Heidi Brady, a professor with Tech's Department of Animal and Food sciences.
One of the highlights of the half-day program was a keynote address by Michael Harlien, senior sales representative with Elanco in Lubbock. Elanco develops and markets products to improve animal health and protein production in more than 75 countries. A division of Lilly, it employs more than 2,500 people worldwide with offices in more than 40 countries. The title of his presentation was "Industry Perspective on Student Marketability." The meeting was closed with a presentation by CASNR Dean Michael Galyean.
Written by Norman Martin
CONTACT: Michael Galyean, Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
0823NM12 / PHOTO: (top row) David Doerfert, Noureddine Abidi, Jennifer Moore-Kucera, and Gad Perry; (bottom row) Brad Johnson, Gaea Wimmer, Renee Dillon, and Samantha Borgstedt