Tech Livestock Judging Team Takes Fourth at International Competition
Texas Tech's Livestock Judging Team finished fourth on Tuesday (Nov. 13) at the North American International Livestock Exposition in Louisville. The team was second in reasons, second in sheep, fourth in performance cattle and fourth in swine, while two Red Raiders finished in the top-ten overall rankings.
According to program officials, Tech's Travis Begley, a senior from Plainview, finished fourth overall and Luke Strecker, a senior from Rockbridge Baths, Va., finished sixth overall.
Separately, two Texas Tech team members were selected to the All American Livestock Judging Team. Drew Cashman, a senior from New Windsor, Md., and Cade Luckett, a senior from Matador, received the honors based upon their scholastic achievements, community service and contest performance.Other Tech team members included:
- Ryan Boldt, a senior from Longmont, Colo.
- Drew Cashman, a senior from New Windsor, Md.
- Segayle Foster, a senior from Lockney
- Mandy-Jo Laurent, a senior from Nacogdoches
- Cade Luckett, a senior from Matador
- Ryan Rotramel, a senior from Devine
- Alyssa Smith, a senior from Michigantown, Ind.
- Levi Schaefer, a senior from Garden City
- Zach Smith, a senior from Sweetwater
- Whitney Stuart, a senior from Clovis, Calif.
- Dakotah Williams, a senior from Glenrose
Among the leaders at the North American International Livestock Exposition were Oklahoma State, first; Colorado State, second; and Western Illinois, third. Only 22 points separated the top four teams. Texas A&M finished fifth. Program officials noted that event featured 139 contestants from 29 universities. The contest tested the contestants' knowledge of cattle, sheep and swine, as well as their oral reasons.
Written by Moriah Beyers
CONTACT: Ryan Rathmann, assistant professor, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at 742-2805 ext. 233 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It