CASNR Distinguished & Young Alumni Awards honor seven at Alumni Center
Texas Tech University's College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources honored six distinguished alumni on Monday (Feb. 16) at the university's McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center. The Distinguished & Young Alumni Awards honor alumni who've made significant contributions to society, and whose accomplishments and careers have brought distinction to the college and to the professions associated with agriculture and natural resources.
The recipients of this year's Distinguished Alumni Awards were:
- Jamey Laney Phillips of Lubbock. A Principal with Phillips & McLaren, LLP, Phillips received a bachelor's degree in Agricultural Economics in 1991.
- Joe Donald Hurst of Idalou. CEO of Hurst Farm Supply, Inc., Hurst received a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Education in 1979.
- Michael Don Simpson also of Lubbock. The Executive Sales Representative with Elanco Animal Health received a bachelor's degree in Animal Production in 1975.
- Eric A. Bernard, PLA, ASLA, of Albuquerque, NM. Bernard is currently an associate professor and Director of Landscape Architecture with the University of N.M. He received both a bachelor's and master's degree in Landscape Architecture in 1996 and 2000, respectively.
- Ann L. Hild of Laramie, Wyo. The Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies at the University of Wyoming received a master's degree in horticulture in 1991 and a doctorate degree in range science in 1995 from Texas Tech.
- Ginger G. Light, Ph.D. of Idalou. Light is the Physical Traits Development Manager for Bayer CropScience. She received her Ph.D. in Agronomy in 1999.
In addition, the college recognized one Outstanding Young Alumna. The recipient of the 2015 Young Alumna Award was Mary Jane Buerkle of Lubbock. Buerkle is the Director of Communications and Public Affairs for Plains Cotton Growers, Inc. She received a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Communications in 2003 and a master's degree in Agricultural Education in 2004.
CONTACT: Tracee Murph, Coordinator of Alumni Relations, Office of Development & Alumni Relations, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2802 or firstname.lastname@example.org
0217NM15 / Editor's Note: (Pictured in main photo, clockwise from top, left) Eric Bernard; Ann Hild; Joe Hurst; Ginger Light; Jamey Phillips; and Michael Simpson
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It