CASNR leaders spend summer sessions learning the ropes in Washington
By: Norman Martin
Four students from Texas Tech's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources are using their summer to work as interns in the nation's capital. Running from June through August, the college's congressional summer intern program affords selected students an opportunity to experience first-hand the government's day-to-day operations.
"Intern selections are always an exciting and difficult process," said Savannah Chambers, CASNR's Program Manager of Undergraduate Studies. "The program is one of the most unique student programs that the college has for CASNR students."
This year's CASNR summer interns include:
• Stephen May, a senior agricultural and applied economics major from Sweetwater (House Committee on Agriculture)
• Asa Meyer, a senior food science major from Arlington, Virginia (USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service)
• Sarah Moses, a senior natural resources management major from Pearsall (U.S. Representative Jodey Arrington, R-TX-19th District)
• Sterling Shrum, a senior agricultural communications major from Boerne (USDA Food and Nutrition Service)
CASNR interns live in the 'Tech House' during their stay in Washington D.C., which is located just over a block away from the Capitol Building. Their living expenses are offset through scholarships from generous donors, including the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Texas Corn Producers Board, Plains Cotton Growers, Texas Corn Growers, Texas Peanut Producers, Dan Taylor, Texas Farm Bureau, and South Texas Cotton and Grain, as well as others.
CONTACT: Cindy Akers, Associate Dean for Academic and Student Programs, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
0521NM18 / PHOTOS: (clockwise from top left) Stephen May, Asa Meyer, Sterling Shrum and Sarah Moses
Editor's Note: For additional information about the CASNR Government Intern Program, click here
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It