Outstanding faculty, staff spotlighted at annual CASNR Awards ceremony
By: Norman Martin
Nine faculty and staff members were honored for service and support of Texas Tech University's College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources on Thursday (Aug. 22) during a special evening ceremony at the Department of Animal and Food Sciences livestock arena.
The 2019 CASNR award recipients included:
• Teaching Award: Robert Cox, Associate Professor, Department of Natural Resources Management
• Research Award: John McGlone, Professor, Department of Animal and Food Sciences
• Junior Faculty Award: Amy Boren Alpizar, Assistant Professor, Agricultural Leadership, Department of Agricultural Education and Communications
• Service/Outreach Award: Darren Hudson, Larry Combest Endowed Chair for Agricultural Competitiveness, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics
• Student Advising Award: John Rayfield, Associate Professor, Agricultural Education and Communications, Department of Agricultural Education and Communications
• Instructor Award: Ronald Phillips, Chief Compliance & Security Officer, Texas Tech University
• International Impact Award: Venugopal Mendu, Assistant Professor, Cell Wall Biology, Department of Plant and Soil Science
• Staff Award: Linda Whitebread, Director, Administration & Finance, Texas Tech College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
• Research Staff Award: Kevin Cushman, Research Associate, Department of Plant and Soil Science
On Friday (Aug. 23) morning CASNR faculty participated in a retreat at the university's McKenzie-Merket Alumni Center that focused on student trends. An overview of the college was provided by CASNR Dean William Brown. This was followed by strategic plan group discussions.
The day before (Aug. 22), CASNR leaders met with members of the CASNR Advisory Board for a half-day meeting at the McKenzie-Merket Center. The session included a state-of-the-college and thoughts-for-future presentation by Brown. This was followed by an update from Matt Williams, assistant director with CASNR's Office of Development and Alumni Relations, along with a review from CASNR's Strategic Planning Committee.
CONTACT: William Brown, Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
0823NM19 / PHOTO: (Top Row) Robert Cox, John McGlone, Amy Boren Alpizar (Middle Row) Darren Hudson, John Rayfield, Ronald Phillips (Bottom Row) Venugopal Mendu, Linda Whitebread, Kevin Cushman