CASNR congressional fall interns on the ground in Washington, D.C.
By: Norman Martin
Three specially-selected students from Texas Tech's College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources are spending their fall semester working as interns in Washington, D.C. Running from September through December, the college's congressional intern program affords these students an opportunity to experience first-hand the government's day-to-day operations.
"Intern selections are always an exciting and difficult process," said CASNR's Interim Dean Cindy Akers. "The program is one of the most unique student programs that the college has for CASNR students."
Among the benefits of a congressional internship are a real world working environment for students interested in public service, development of valuable job skills, and opportunities to meet professionals involved in government and related areas.
This year's CASNR Washington, D.C.-based fall interns include:
- Samantha Barnett, a senior agricultural communications major from Florence, Texas (Farm Credit Council)
- Hayden Crawford, a junior agricultural and applied economics/general business major from Lubbock, Texas (U.S. Representative Jodey Arrington, R-TX-19)
- Kylie Harlan, a senior agricultural communications major from Bells, Texas (U.S. Representative Kevin Brady, R-TX-8)
CASNR interns live in the 'Tech House' during their stay in Washington D.C., which is located just over a block away from the Capitol Building. Their living expenses are offset through scholarships from generous donors.
CONTACT: Cindy Akers, Interim Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2808 or email@example.com
0903NM21 / Editor's Note: For additional information about the CASNR Government Intern Program, click here
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It