This certificate prepares students to be active and critical language users capable of moving across cultural contexts and engaging in global literacies. Students who have successfully completed this certificate will be able to communicate in intercultural and global professional contexts while making use of their world language skills.
Contact Dr. Erin Collopy for more information.
Required courses for the certificate are:
- 2302 of any language (SPAN 2607 or SPAN 2304 can be substituted). Students who place higher or test out of fourth semester language can substitute a 3000 or 4000-level language course taught in the target language.
- One course for specific purposes, if offered in the chosen target language (e.g. GERM 4309, CHIN 3311, CHIN 3312, FREN 3306, FREN 4304, SPAN 4308, SPAN 4309). If no language for specific purposes course is offered, students may substitute three credits of CMLL 4000 with a language for specific purposes focus.
- An approved study abroad program or internship with a global focus for a minimum of three credits (Approved courses: CHIN 3306, GERM 3306, SPAN 4335, ASL 4301).
Required or elective courses
- ARAB 2302 - Second Course in Arabic II
- ASL 4301 - Topics in American Sign Language Interpreting: Community Interpreting
- ASL 2302 - Second Course in American Sign Language IV
- ASL 4331 - Observation/Interpreting Business Practices
- CHIN 2302 - A Second Course in Chinese II
- CHIN 3311 - Business Chinese I
- CHIN 3312 - Business Chinese II
- FREN 2302 - A Second Course in French II
- FREN 3306 - Business French
- FREN 4304 - Commercial French
- GERM 2302 - A Second Course in German II
- GERM 3306 - Contemporary Germany
- GERM 3314 - Cultural Excursions in Germany
- GERM 4309 - Business German
- GRK 2302 - A Second Course in Greek II
- ITAL 2302 - A Second Course in Italian II
- JAPN 2302 - A Second Course in Japanese II
- LAT 2302 - A Second Course in Latin II
- PORT 2302 - Intermediate Portuguese II
- RUSN 2302 - A Second Course in Russian II
- SPAN 2302 - A Second Course in Spanish II
- SPAN 2304 - Intermediate Spanish for Hispanic Students II
- SPAN 4308 - Business Spanish
- SPAN 2607 - Intensive Spanish - Second Year
- SPAN 4309 - Spanish Language Studies-Special Topics
- SPAN 4335 - Internship in Spanish
- SPAN 4344 - Contemporary Mexico
- SPAN 4346 - Spanish Life and Culture
Classical & Modern Languages & Literatures
AddressCMLL Building, 2906 18th St, Lubbock, TX 79409