Texas Tech University

English Minor FAQ

How do I declare my minor?

In order for the minor to show up on your transcript like your major does, you will need to turn in a degree plan form. The form is college specific so you will need to find out what form you need and where to submit it from your major advisor(s). Once you are in front of me I will need approximately 30 minutes of your time because I go over several things that I think are important prior to filling in your form.

Contact and set an appointment with English Undergraduate Advising.

Does English 1301 count toward the minor?


I can only use 3 hours of English transfer work at the 3000- and 4000-level. What about the rest?

You may transfer in English 1302 and both 2000-level English courses and they will apply to the minor.

How about Credit by Examination credit?

Texas Tech accepts a variety of types of credit for English 1302 and you can also earn CLEP credit for English 2307. The Academic Testing Office maintains the chart of exams and scores. They will apply to the minor. Texas Tech no longer accepts CLEP credit for higher level English courses so those would not apply.

Can the English minor concentrate, specialize, or focus on a particular area or type of English?

Yes and no. The English major has concentrations/specializations, but the English minor does not. The diploma will simply state “Minor: English.” However, you get to pick the courses you take so you may choose to take them all in American Literature or Creative Writing or whatever you would like.

May I take any 3000- or 4000-level English course for the minor?

You may take any of the ones that you have the prerequisites for.

May I take a distance course (online, correspondence, extended studies) for my minor?

If the course is offered by TTU English Department, yes. All of our courses are semester-based and offered by English Dept teachers. Distance courses from other schools are governed by the same rules as face-to-face classes from other schools.