APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR FALL 2024 ADMISSION: JANUARY 11, 2024
NO GRE REQUIRED
- College Transcripts (BA and MA or MFA required)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- 8-10 page (or longer) critical writing sample for all applicants
- a creative writing sample (15-20 pages) if applying to the Creative Writing specialization
- 700-word statement of purpose outlining your interest in our graduate program
- 3 letters of recommendation. (Recommenders send their letters directly through the TTU Graduate School application portal via a prompt generated by the system)
As a TTU graduate student, you will find exceptional academic breadth and specialization as well as an inclusive and diverse group of faculty and graduate students actively engaged in academic pursuits and in the broader Lubbock community.
Join us in Lubbock, Texas, where you will bond with other graduate students through engaging coursework, exceptional pedagogical and teacher training in a nationally recognized first-year writing program, and a range of departmental organizations, service opportunities, and graduate certificate programs.
When you apply to our onsite PhD program, you are automatically considered for funding. The funding for incoming students consists of a teaching position with a competitive stipend—guaranteed $20K/year for four years with opportunities to apply for a fifth year of funding—and significant tuition and fee waivers.
For two years, you will teach in the first-year writing program, serving as a classroom instructor. In your third and fourth years, there will be teaching and service opportunities beyond first-year writing, including teaching assistant positions for film courses, teaching sophomore-level literature courses or creative writing workshops, mentorship and administrative appointments, and service in support roles. Summer teaching/funding is also regularly available.
Specializing in Creative Writing
The PhD with specialization in Creative Writing is an extraordinarily flexible and important degree: it asks you to practice your craft as a writer and to become a scholar of literature, providing you with the expertise and credentials to pursue a career as a faculty member in any English department in the country.
Graduate Student Opportunities
- the chance to apply for Tech's TEACH Program, created in response to the Preparing Future Faculty movement.
- Potential to join the staff of Iron Horse Literary Review, serving as an Associate or Managing Editor.
- Opportunities to work in our beautiful Letterpress Studio.
- Small classes, dedicated mentors, generous and talented colleagues, and a warm welcome into a tight-knit community of writers and scholars here in the South Plains.
- Opportunity to apply for the Summer 1On1 Program, which facilitates individual pitch sessions between select graduate students and various agents and editors across the country.
Dr. Leslie Jill Patterson
Director of Creative Writing
Dr. Elissa Zellinger
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of English
AddressP.O. Box 43091 Lubbock, TX 79409-3091