Student Society News
The Geosciences Society (GSS), the student chapter of American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) and the Geoscience Leadership Organization at Texas Tech welcome you to their annual update of our activities. Our organizations continue to grow and flourish, and provide and contribute to social, educational, and professional opportunities for all Geoscience students at Tech.
Thanks for staying in touch with us – without your support, the gap between our alumni and academia would be vast. If you would like to stay in touch, please fill out this form.
Student Society Tailgates
The Societies are collaborating to host tailgates for all the Texas Tech home football games this season. Generous sponsorship has been provided by many supporters and friends of the University and we thank them all.
Geosciences Society (GSS)
Volunteering at Friends of the Library book sales, Tech or Treat, Tech Savvy, Texas
Tech Museum Sciences Day, Arbor Day, and TTU Baseball Stadium cleanup events.
• Sponsoring lunch for the Annual Student Research Day.
• Supporting students who are attending conferences.
American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG)
• Gratefully acknowledges support from Riley Geological Services, Concho Resources Inc., Neuralog, Premier Oilfield Group, and Gravity Oilfield Services.
With this support we are
• Connecting students with oil and gas industry professionals.
• Sending more students to conferences and workshops.
• Hosting professional speakers on campus.
• Giving back to the community with our annual blood drive, maintaining our adopted stretch of highway near Wolfforth and volunteering with Meals on Wheels
Geosciences Leadership Organization (GLO)
Our rebranded Geoscience Leadership Organization is an inclusive organization whose mission remains to provide additional support and resources for students to reach their full potential and graduate with the tools necessary to be successful in their career.
This year we have
• Organized meet-and-greets with young alumni in industry
• Hosted speakers from the the energy and environmental sectors.
• Partnered with the Career Center and Red to Black to provide professional and personal development workshops.
• Launched the Geoscience Mentorship Program that pairs undergraduate and graduate students with peer mentors
Geography and Youth Mappers
GYM is an inclusive, environmental service-based student group focused on helping Lubbock through local service projects, but also communities around the globe through our mapping projects.
- career centered workshops for students
- host and lead roundtable discussion with industry representatives and visiting scholars
The Geosciences Sigma Gamma Epsilon Scholarship
Our Scholarship Fund continues to grow through small donations and has now supported students for each of the last 5 years. Typical donations are between $10 and $50 from current students and early career alumni like you and all donations are tripled by the Geoscience Society so as to maximize your generosity.
If you would like to help the societies support students, please visit here.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Department or our social occasions to promote excellence and service in our geoscience community.
And as always, Wreck 'Em!