Family & Consumer Sciences Education
Doctor of Philosophy in Family and Consumer Sciences EducationRequest Info Apply Degree & Admission Details
Earn a one-of-a-kind degree—the nation's only Ph.D. in Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Texas Tech University offers the nation's only Family and Consumer Sciences Education Ph.D. program.
We are committed to training the next generation of university faculty members in family and consumer science education. If you seek an academic career, Texas Tech's doctoral program provides you with the most advanced academic training, the most distinguished faculty, and the strongest professional foundation of any program in the country.
Our Family and Consumer Sciences Education Ph.D. program offers you the opportunity to:
- Receive guidance and mentoring from world-class scholars. Nationally renowned faculty lead our Ph.D. program. You will work with outstanding role models who have outstanding achievements in research, publishing, and educational innovation.
- Showcase your research ability. You will have access to top-notch libraries, labs, and consumer sciences facilities. Texas Tech doctoral students have a strong record of journal publishing and conference presentations.
- Receive teaching support and training. As a future faculty member, you will have significant teaching responsibilities. Texas Tech will help you learn practical teaching techniques that you will need to be an effective college educator.
- Become part of a broad professional network. Our faculty maintain relationships with researchers and educators across the country. In addition, our alumni hold leadership positions throughout Texas and the nation.
Become a Leader in Family and Consumer Sciences Research and Education
The demand for advanced educators in family and consumer sciences education continues to grow. You can help to meet this need by earning a doctoral degree from Texas Tech.
Our Ph.D. program in Family and Consumer Sciences Education will provide you with the training and qualifications you need for a faculty position, especially in Family and Consumer Sciences Education or teacher preparation. The degree can serve as the foundation for alternative career paths such as cooperative extension, educational research, public policy, and academic publishing.
Academic requirements for the family and consumer sciences education Ph.D. program include:
- 60 credit hours of coursework and 12 hours of dissertation
60 hours include:
- 21-hour specialization in family and consumer sciences education
- 15-hour research component
- 18-hour emphasis designed to address professional goals
- 6-hour of electives
Admission is based on graduate and undergraduate records, and additional considerations.
For more information about the Family and Consumer Sciences Education doctoral degree
Request Information Online
Contact the FCSE program coordinator by phone
- Name: Dr. Karen Alexander
- Phone: (806) 834-2212