Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Doctor of Philosophy
The Ph.D. degree program is designed to prepare individuals for faculty positions in higher education and other professional leadership roles.
Academic requirements for the family and consumer sciences Ph.D. program include:
- 60 credit hours of coursework and 12 hours of dissertation
60 hours include:
- 21-hour specialization in family and consumer sciences education
- 15-hour research component
- 18-hour emphasis designed to address professional goals
- 6-hour of electives
Admission is based on graduate and undergraduate records, professional recommendations, and additional considerations. A master's degree is required for admission to the doctoral program.
Applications are due February 1 for fall admission and October 1 for spring admission.
Click here to print a copy of degree requirements (FCSE Doctoral Program).
How to Apply
The Graduate School online application system is designed to help you easily navigate through the application process and ensure you complete your application in a timely manner.
ALL documents must be submitted through the online portal and directly to the department.
Additional items to address with your application process:
- Professional Vita (More than a one-page résumé, the vita is an extensive listing of your professional experiences that indicates, employment, leadership, professional organization involvement and participation, presentations, publications, and research projects, if applicable).
- Written statement of professional goals that could be achieved with the Ph.D. and possible research interests for the dissertation (Include any research-based activities that you have participated in that supports your research interests. NOTE: Your research interests must be clearly aligned with Family and Consumer Sciences. Please consider reading more about the Body of Knowledge for Family and Consumer Sciences before preparing your statement.)
- Writing sample (An example of academic writing generally from a master's program and/or a portion of the master's thesis, if a thesis was completed.)
- Three letters of recommendation addressing professional background, academic performance, and potential for success in a doctoral program
- Official transcripts (include all institutions attended)
- Apply for Scholarships (one application opportunity only)
- Online application opens: November 15, 2022
- Deadline for applications: January 15, 2023
- Scholarship deadline: January 15, 2023
- Awards announced: March 15, 2023
- Acceptance of award for student deadline: April 15, 2023
- Interview with FCSE Faculty (May be scheduled prior to admission)
Family & Consumer Sciences Education
AddressFamily & Consumer Sciences Education, Texas Tech University, P.O. Box 41161, Lubbock, TX 79409-1161