Hospitality & Retail Management Ph.D.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Hospitality, Tourism, and Retail Management
Earn your Ph.D. in Hospitality, Tourism, and Retail Management that puts you on the tenure track.
Texas Tech University offers one of the only hospitality, tourism, and retail management (in-person) doctoral degrees in the country that allows you the flexibility to earn your doctorate in one of three disciplines. Your degree will provide specific detail regarding which concentration you pursued. No other program provides you with better preparation for an academic career than Texas Tech University.
Widely recognized as one of the nation's top hospitality, retail, and tourism programs, Texas Tech continues to produce high-quality university faculty who lead, teach, and conduct research around the world.
Our Ph.D. in tourism, hospitality, and retail management provides a strong foundation for your career by providing you with opportunities to:
- Showcase your academic talent and success. You will receive recognition for your work through independent research that culminates in journal publications and conference presentations.
- Work with accomplished faculty. Texas Tech's hospitality, retail management, and tourism faculty includes content experts with widespread academic and industry connections.
- Develop a global perspective. Our hospitality, tourism, and retail management Ph.D. program draws students and faculty from all over the world, including Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia.
- Develop exceptional research skills. The doctoral program in hospitality, tourism, and retail management at Texas Tech provides coursework to enhance your skills in both qualitative and quantitative research methods. Advanced coursework in theory, literature, and statistics will provide the foundation you need to be a top scholar.
- Develop outstanding teaching skills. Texas Tech's Ph.D. program stands out for its curriculum development and educator training. You will receive advanced teaching experience as part of your doctoral education, with strong mentorship from seasoned faculty who have many years of teaching experience.
- Work with premier research centers and institutes. Only students at Texas Tech have the opportunity to work with GUEST and the Texas Wine Marketing Research Institute (TWMRI). GUEST focuses globally and locally on experiential and sustainable tourism and has worked in the U.S., Costa Rica, and Jordan. TWMRI works to advance the wine industry in the state of Texas and has connections with other wine centers and institutes across the U.S. and the globe. GUEST and TWMRI provide doctoral students with access to outstanding research opportunities.
Our hospitality, tourism, and retail management Ph.D. program enables you to build comprehensive skills and an impressive resume. You will be qualified for faculty positions at leading universities, with excellent opportunities for promotion to leadership positions and administrative roles such as dean.
Hospitality, Tourism, and Retail Management Ph.D. Objectives and Outcomes
The Hospitality, Tourism, and Retail doctoral degree prepares you for faculty positions in higher education, as well as leadership positions in the industry.
Hospitality Administration: Concentrate on management and marketing research associated with hospitality including; hotels, restaurants, institutional management, dynamic pricing, guest experience, and technology.
Tourism Administration: Concentrate on management and marketing research associated with tourism including; group and event management, experiential and wine tourism, and place branding.
Retail Management: Concentrate on management and marketing research associated with retailing including; branding, shopper and consumer behavior, pricing, service and brandscape.
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of the theory, concepts, and practices in the fields of hospitality, tourism, and retail management.
- Explore key issues facing these industries, current research, and practices in hospitality, tourism and retail management.
- Apply concepts and theories to solve theoretical and practical problems related to hospitality, tourism and retail management.
- Communicate research findings for both academic and professional audiences.
- Develop and aptitude for and utilize a variety of research and statistical techniques important to research in hospitality, tourism and retail management.
- Value the integration of your research with teaching to provide your students with advanced understanding.
- Analyze the global, social, multicultural, and environmental issues facing the hospitality, tourism and retail professionals in academic and industry settings.
- Value involvement in professional organizations supporting hospitality, tourism and retail disciplines.