Rodeo Update: Women’s rodeo team takes second in NIRA’s Southwest Region
The Texas Tech women’s rodeo team turned in a strong showing at the Tarleton State University Stampede Rodeo over the weekend in Stephenville, and the team’s finish put the group into second place in the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association’ Southwest Region.
The placement gives the women a ticket to June’s College National Finals Rodeo in Casper, Wyo., said Texas Tech Rodeo Coach Chris Guay. The Tech women’s team made school history last summer, winning its first national championship at the 64th annual College National Finals Rodeo.
Members of the women’s team include Taylor Langdon, a senior exercise sports major from Aubrey; Shelby Janssen, a junior general studies major from Austin, Minn.; Carley Richardson, a senior animal and food sciences-nursing major from Pampa; and Traci Bailey, a junior agriculture education major from Centerville, Wash.
Meanwhile, prominent performances at the Tarleton Stampede Rodeo included:
- Barrel Racing: Langdon. Second in the finals; Fourth overall. The placing solidified her position as the ‘2013 Southwest Region Champion Barrel Racer’
- Goat Tying: Cierra Kunesh, a junior animal science major from McCloud, Montana. Seventh in the finals; Sixth overall
- Goat Tying: Bailey, Seventh overall
- Calf Roping: Layne Norton, a junior agriculture and applied economics major from Carlsbad, NM. Second in go-round one, Third in the finals, Fourth overall
- Saddle Bronc Riding: Chance Gasperson, a junior finance major from Decatur. Second in the short go, Third overall
Separately, Guay noted that the Texas Tech men qualifiers for the national finals rodeo include Garrett Hale, a junior agriculture and applied economics major from Snyder, who was second in calf roping at Tarleton; and Zach Peterson, an agriculture and applied economics major from Afton, Iowa, who placed third in bull riding.
Written by Norman Martin
CONTACT: Chris Guay, rodeo coach, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2805 ext. 256 or www.ttu.edu/rodeo
0422NM13 / PHOTO: Richard ‘Whitty’ Whittenburg – Two Dog Enterprises