Civil Engineering – 1949
Robert J. Lewis is an entrepreneur with interests that span several industries. He succeeded first as a general contractor and went on to own his own construction business and to manage and develop real estate properties and investments. He is presently chairman of the board of the United Savings Bank of Vienna, Virginia.
A Hale Center native, Mr. Lewis received his B.S. in Civil Engineering in 1949 from Texas Tech, where he lettered in track and was a member of the TT Association. He served in Korea in the Corps of Engineers as a company commander, and since 1953, he has lived and worked in the Washington, D.C. area. Texas Tech is fortunate to have such a devoted long–distance supporter.
From 1953–1961, Mr. Lewis was employed as the general manager of W. M. Chapell, Inc. In 1961, he formed his own construction company and developed apartment complexes, shopping centers, and offices. From 1970–1980, he developed, owned, and managed a variety of properties including 1,000 townhouses, 4,000 apartment units, as well as shopping centers and nursing homes. He retired from active development and construction in 1980, but he continues to manage investment properties. In 1976, he was elected to the Board of Directors of the United Savings & Loan Association in Vienna, Virginia, and in 1978, he was elected chairman of the board. Mr. Lewis is also an avid and expert golfer. In 1984, he was Virginia State Senior Golf Champion.
A member of the TTU Century Club since 1972 and a donor to the scholarship endowment fund, his dedication to the quality of education at Tech and his many achievements prompted the Ex–Students Association to recognize him with their Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1984. The College of Engineering is now proud to designate this outstanding individual as DISTINGUISHED ENGINEER.