Joshua C. Fairbanks, Ph.D.
About Professor Fairbanks
Joshua Fairbanks graduated from Texas Tech University in 2012 with a Ph. D. in Finance. Upon graduation, he joined the finance department at Ohio University, where he taught Financial Modeling, Advanced Corporate Finance and Financial Markets and Institution. In 2012, he was awarded the Finance Department Teacher of the Year award. In 2014, Dr. Fairbanks joined the Rawls College of Business as an Assistant Professor of Practice in Finance to teach Financial Management (Fin 5320) to the STEM MBAs, and Online MS students. He won the Outstanding MBA Professor Award in Spring 2015. Dr. Fairbanks has retail management experience including payroll, budgeting, and hiring for major corporations including Albertsons Inc., and American Golf Corporation. Dr. Fairbanks used to day trade stocks, and frequently dabbles in the Forex market. Pedagogically, Dr. Fairbanks believes that students need to be prepared to apply the fundamentals of finance; thus, he utilizes MS EXCEL in the classroom to help students make the connection between theory and practice. Dr. Fairbanks also has an extensive background in online teaching, and a strong desire to integrate technology into the classroom.
- Rawls Graduate Association, Advisor
- Forex Student Trading Group, Advisor
- Distance Learning Task Force, Member
- Rawls Business Leadership Program, Academic Mentor (2015)
- SCHOOL CHOICE PROGRAMS: THE IMPACTS ON HOUSING VALUES, with Bartley R. Danielsen, and Jing Zhao. The Journal of Real Estate Literature, Vol. 23 No. 2, 2015. (SSRN Top 20 Downloads from 12/2014-2/2015)
- ACKNOWLEDGING CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE REAL ESTATE LITERATURE, with George Cashman. The Journal of Real Estate Literature, Vol. 21 No. 1, 2014, Pg. 3 – 22.
- A MONTE CARLO EXPLORATION OF THE VERTICAL PROPERTY TAX INEQUITY MODELS: SEARCHING FOR A 'BEST' MODEL, with Paul Goebel, Michael D.S. Morris and William Dare. The Journal of Real Estate Literature, Vol. 21 No. 1, 2013, Pg. 3 – 24.
- THE EFFECT OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTION BRANCH LOCATION ON SURROUNDING RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY VALUES, with David Harrison and Paul Goebel. Presented at ARES 2014.
- THE SIGNIFICANT TIPS PRICE PREMIUM, with Drew Winters.
- PRICING THE INFERRED TAX DISADVANTAGE IN TIPS, with Scott Hein and Jeffrey Mercer.
- CPFF AND TLGP: FINANCIAL CRISIS PROGRAMS, with Mark Griffiths and Drew Winters
Research in Progress:
- MORTGAGE PREPAYMENT, with Xu Niu and Guy Chadwick
- TAXING THE TIPS PROMISE: AN INVESTOR'S PERSPECTIVE (Solo Authored)
- EX-ANTE vs. EX-POST TIPS RETURNS, with Scott Hein
- SPOT CURRENENCY SPREADS DURING ECONOMIC NEWS EVENTS, with Eric Sisneros and Mark Moore
Awards and Honors
- RCOB Outstanding MBA Professor, Spring 2015
- Finance Department Teacher of the Year, Ohio University, 2012-2013
- Doctoral Student Consortium, FMA 2011
- Nominated for the Helen DeVitt Jones Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award, 2011
- CFA Candidate, Passed Level I, June 2010
- Rawls College Scholarship, 2008 – 2012
- AT&T Chancellor's Fellowship, 2008 – 2011
- Title V Cooperative Grant Recipient, 2007
- Title V Grant Recipient, 2006 and 2007