TTU XRD and XRF instruments
Across the campus of Texas Tech University, there are a variety of XRD and XRF instruments that are housed in service centers and are operated by experts with different specialties. Below is a list of the current instruments and contact information for the operators or owners of those instruments.
- Rigaku SmartLab PXRD instrument with powder, thin film, high temperature (1500°C under vacuum), microfocus, and capillary capabilities. This instrument is housed in the Maddox Engineering Research Center and is operated by Dr. Juliusz Warzywoda email@example.com
- Rigaku MiniFlex II PXRD instrument with 6 position sample changer and scintillation detector. This instrument is housed in the Geoscience department and is operated by Prof. Callum Hetherington firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rigaku SmartLab PXRD instrument with powder capabilities, primarily cellulose or similar polymers. This instrument is housed in the Fiber & Biopolymer Research Institute and is operated by Prof. Noureddine Abidi email@example.com
- Thermo Scientific ARL PERFORM'X XRF instrument is primarily used for whole rock analysis and loose powders. This instrument is housed in the Geoscience department and is operated by Prof. Callum Hetherington firstname.lastname@example.org
- Various handheld XRF instruments used primarily for elemental analysis in the field and of items that cannot be readily ground into a powder. Prof. David Weindorf email@example.com and his research team are leading experts in this field of portable XRF instrumentation.
- The Membrane Protein Laboratory Core (located in the TTUHSC) houses two XRD instruments for different purposes. The first is a Rigaku Screen Machine that is suited for collecting unit cell data from protein and other large macromolecular crystals. The second instrument is a Xenocs Small Angle X-ray Scattering instrument for studying nanoscale particles in solution or solid material. Profs. Byran Sutton firstname.lastname@example.org and Hongjun Liang email@example.com.
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Address1204 Boston Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409-1061