■ Prof. Kristin Hutchins gave an invited lecture Design of hydrogen-bonding receptors for pharmaceutical contaminants, Midwest Organic Solid State Chemistry Symposium, June 8-9, 2018, St. Louis, MO.
■ Prof. Anthony Cozzolino gave a talk at the 3rd International Symposium for Halogen Bonding entitled Pnictogen Bonding in Solution: From Catalysis to Reversed Bilayer Formation
■ Prof. Anthony Cozzolino also gave a talk at the IUPAC workshop on Interactions Involving Group 14 - 16 Elements as Electrophilic Sites: A World Parallel to Halogen Bond entitled The Secondary Bonding Interactions of the Heavy p-Block Elements: Classification of Interactions with Electron Donors O and N. Authors: Anthony F. Cozzolino, Shiva Moaven and Henry Trubenstein
■ Prof. Bill Poirier gave a talk at the QuSeT 2018 conference he is hosting Trajectory-based Theory of Relativistic Quantum Particles on June 12.
■ Prof. Yehia Mechref gave an invited lecture entitled 'Reliable Quantitation of Glycan and Glycopeptide Isomers to Acquire a Better Understanding of Biological Roles of Glycoproteins' at the 66th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry, June 4-9, San Diego, CA.
■ Prof. Mechref group presented 13 posters at the 66th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry, June 4-9, San Diego, CA:
- Isomeric Separation of Permethylated O-Glycans Derived from Glycoproteins Using PGC-LC-MS at High Temperature; Byeong Gwan 'Andrew' Cho; Yehia Mechref.
- Microfluidic Chip Enzyme Reactors for Fast Enzymatic Digestion Facilitating Peptides and Glycans LC-MS/MS Analyses; Aiying Yu; Veronica J Lyons; Dimitri Pappas; Yehia Mechref.
- Online Post-Column Enzyme Reactors Facilitating Rapid Isomeric Identification of Glycopeptides in Conjunction with PGC-LC-MS/MS; Yifan Huang; Aiying Yu; Jieqiang Zhong; Yehia Mechref.
- Idnetifying Potential N-glycan Biomarkers for Idiopathic REM Sleep Behavior Disorder by LC-MS/MS; Xue Dong Stefania Mondello; Firas Kobeissy; Farid Talih; Raffaele Ferri; Yehia Mechref.
- Proteomic Study of Idiopathic REM Sleep Behavior Disorder and Restless Leg Syndrome Using LC-MS/MS for Candidate Biomarker Identification; Jingfu Zhao; Firas Kobeissy; Firid Talih; Raffaele Ferri; Yehia Mechref; Mondello Stefania.
- Carbon Dot@Iron Oxide Nanoparticles as a Co-Matrix Enhancing MALDI-MS Detection of Glycans; Alireza Banazadeh; Yehia Mechref.
- Glucose Unit Index (GUI) of Permethylated Glycans Enabling Effective Identification of Glycans and Glycan Isomers; Sakshi Gautam; Wenjing Peng; Xue Dong; Yifan Huang; Byeong Gwan 'Andrew' Cho; Yehia Mechref.
- Purification of Permethylated N- and O-Glycans by Using In-House Carbon Nanoparticle-Packed Off-Line Trap for Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry; Jieqiang Zhong; Yifan Huang; Byeong Gwan “Andrew” Cho; Yehia Mechref.
- O-Glycome Profiling of Breast Cancer Cell Lines to Reveal the Biological Mechanism of Breast Cancer Brain Metastasis; Wenjing Peng; Mona Goli; Parvin Mirzaei; Akhila Reddy; Yehia Mechref.
- Investigation of Glycan’s 15N Labeling Efficiency in Cells and Their Biosynthetic Pathways; Mona Goli; Wenjing Peng; Byeong Gwan 'Andrew' Cho; Jingfu Zhao; Xue Dong; Yifan Huang; Marla Popov2; Ron Orlando; Yehia Mechref.
- Site-Specific Identification of Isomeric Glycopeptides Derived from Serum Alpha-1-Acid Glycoprotein (AGP) in Hepatocellular Carcinoma; David M. Lubman; Jianhui Zhu; Jing Liang; Yifan Huang; Jie Zhang; Mingrui An; Yehia Mechref.
- Microwave-Assisted Pronase Digestion Allowing Efficient Release of O-Glycans for Sensitive LC-MS/MS Analysis; Parvin Mirzaei; 'Andrew' Cho; Mona Goli; Yehia Mechref.
- Lipidomics Approach to Understand the Mechanism of Brain Metastatic Breast Cancer; Masoud Zabet Moghaddam; Wenjing Peng; Susan San Francisco; Yehia Mechref.
■ From 12-14 June, 2018, Prof. Bill Poirier hosted the first Interdisciplinary Focus Workshop on Quantum and Semiclassical Trajectories (QuSeT).
■ Prof. Yehia Mechref organized a workshop entitled 'Quantitative Glycomics and Glycoproteomics: Needs of Standards or Methods?' on June 5th at the 66th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry, San Diego, CA.
■ A new machinist, Jamar Murray, will be joining the Machine shop on July 9th
■ The TTUHSC School of Medicine hosted Dorothy Dent and Dr. Robert Long and other advisors from the TTU campus for meetings regarding admission to their programs. The information provided was quite useful and included the fact that they don’t accept online or AP course credits (except for English) but such deficiencies can be offset by additional upper division coursework in the discipline, average MCAT scores and GPA’s, and programs for early admission.
Researchers' Sepsis-Detecting Chip Proves Successful in Human Study. The chip, invented
by associate professor Dimitri Pappas and graduate student Ye Zhang, detects sepsis,
a potentially fatal condition + More in which the body's immune system goes into overdrive trying to kill a blood-borne
bacterial infection. Two recently published papers show the device is 98 percent accurate.
Prof. Yehia Mechref has been invited by IntechOpen to be the Academic Editor of a
book. IntechOpen is the first and largest native scientific publisher of Open Access
books according to the SIMBA Information report.Learn More
Prof. Michael Findlater has been invited to join the editorial board of Molecules (2016 IF 2.861, 5-year IF 2.988).Learn More
The NIH-National Cancer Institue (NCI) awards Yehia Mechref (TTU) and David Lubman
(University of Michigan) a new U01 grant entitled Screening of Glycan Markers in Serum
for Early Detection of HCC in Different Etiologies of Disease. + More This award includes researchers from TTU, University of Michigan, University of Texas
MS Anderson Cancer Center, UT Southwestern and Indiana University. Learn More
Prof.'s John D'Auria, Michael Mayer, Bob Shaw and Dom Casadonte were among the 32
Texas Tech University Professors recognized by one (or more!) of this year's Phi Beta
Kappa student inductees. + More These professors were recognized as the professor who has had the largest impact
on the Phi Beta Kappa student inductees' experience and learning while at Texas Tech.
Congratulations to Amanda Miller for being awarded the Outstanding Undergraduate Research
(OUR) Award presented by CALUE.Learn More
Congratulations to Amanda Miller & Adrian Falco for awards at the 2018 Texas Tech
University Undergraduate Research Conference. + MoreAdrian received 3rd place in the poster division for Biological and Chemical Sciences, and Amanda received
1st place for all oral presentations.
Reed Nieman has been awarded a Lubbock Achievement Rewards for College Scientists
(ARCS) Chapter Memorial Scholarship provided by the Community Foundation of West Texas. + More Reed is a graduate student in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry. The Community
Foundation of West Texas (www.cfwtx.org) provides scholarships and grants to students and businesses in the Texas South Plains
region with the intention of increasing the overall quality of life in the local area.
See their website for more information.
Congratulations to our undergraduate students who participated in the 10th annual
Undergraduate Research Conference here at Texas Tech University + More It was amazing to see all the excellent research these students have conducted in
our department. A full list of the participants from Chemistry and Biochemistry is
provided in the link
Congratulations Reed Nieman for receiving the Doctoral Dissertation fellowship for
2018-19 academic year.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is committed to providing high quality
education in the chemical and biochemical sciences for undergraduate and graduate
students, producing research contributions that are recognized nationally and internationally,
and making service contributions at all levels.
No events scheduled for the week
TTUCHEMBIO@TTUChem (Undergraduate)@TTUChemGrad (Graduate)