■ Prof. Mechref gave an invited talk entitled “Glycan/protein Stable Isotope Labeling in Cell Cultures (Glyprosilc) Enabling Reliable Quantitation of Glycan and Glycopeptide Isomers” at 48TH International Symposium on High-Performance Liquid Phase Separations and Related Techniques, June 16-20, 2019, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
■ Prof. Gamez gave a Keynote lecture entitled “Novel Spectral Imaging Techniques Applied to Glow Discharge Optical Emission Spectroscopy Elemental Mapping” at the Colloquium Spectroscopicum Internationale XLI, June 9-14, 2019, Mexico City, Mexico.
■ Dr. Subha Pratihar accepted the Associate Director position with June 28th as a starting date. Dr. Pratihar will be replacing Dr. Long who is retiring on July 19th.
■ Drew Brandon (MS with Prof. Poirier, PhD with Prof. Casadonte) recently accepted a tenure track faculty position in the Chemistry department at Clayton State University in Morrow, Georgia. He will be teaching physical chemistry there, and also doing chemical education research. Congrats Drew!
■ Prof. Latham has recently reviewed grants for the Medical Research Council of the United Kingdom and the Patton Trust.
■ Prof. Hase gave the following invited talk Use of Direct Dynamics Simulations and Classical Power Spectra to Study the Intramolecular and Unimolecular Dynamics of Vibrationally Excited Molecules at the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) Conference on Dynamical Systems, May 19-23, 2019, Snowbird, Utah.
■ Prof. Hase presented the invited talk entitled Chemical Dynamics of Energy Transfer and Chemical Reaction in Collisions of 3O2 with Graphite at the 2019 AFOSR Molecular Dynamics/Theoretical Chemistry Program Review, Washington, DC, May 21-23.
■ Prof. Latham presented a seminar entitled Structural biology studies of a large DNA repair complex at the Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel on May 28th.
■ Prof. Hutchins gave a presentation entitled Unique Supramolecular Complex of Diclofenac via Multiple Types of Hydrogen Bonds at the International Symposium on Macrocyclic and Supramolecular Chemistry (ISMSC) in Lecce, Italy on June 5, 2019.
■ Prof. Mechref organized a workshop entitled Enhancing MS-Based Glycomics and Glycoproteomics Toolbox: Round-table Discussion at the 67th American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Atlanta, GA, June 3.
■ Prof. Mechref group presented 15 posters at the 67th American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, Atlanta, GA, June 2-6.
– Rui Zhang, Xue Dong, Jianhui Zhu, David M. Lubman, Yehia Mechref, Haixu Tang. Identification of N-glycopeptides using Electron Transfer/High-energy Collision Dissociation (EThcD).
– Xiaoxia Gong, Parvin Mirzaei, Mohamed Fokar, Yehia Mechref, Masoud Zabet Moghaddam. Direct Quantification of Polyamines in Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings by LC-MS/MS.
– Wenjing Peng, Jingfu Zhao, Mona Goli, Yehia Mechref. GlyProSILC: Glycan/Protein Stable Isotope Labeling in Cell Cultures Approach for Concurrent Glycomics/Proteomics/Glycoptoeomics Analysis.
– Jair Montford, Wenjing Peng, Jingfu Zhao, Seth Williamson, Aiying Yu, Yehia Mechref. A Filter-Assisted Approach for Rapid Proteomic Sample Quality Estimation.
– Jingfu Zhao, Wenjing Peng, Aiying Yu, Yifan Huang, Xue Dong, Yehia Mechref. LC-MS/MS Proteomic: Identification of Candidate Biomarkers of Breast Cancer Subtypes.
– Aiying Yu, Yifan Huang, Jingfu Zhao, Xue Dong, Yehia Mechref. LC-MS/MS Characterization of Isomeric Glycopeptides using Extra-long C18 Column.
– Junyao Wang, Wenjing Peng, Jingfu Zhao, Yehia Mechref. Improving the Glycomics Fidelity of Cancer Cells in Vitro by Using a Physiological Cell Culture Medium.
– Alireza Banazadeh, Mona Goli, Wenjing Peng, Reed Nieman, Hans Lischka, Yehia Mechref. Isomeric Study of Glycans Using Magnetic Carbon Nanoparticles As a MALDI Co-Matrix.
– Yifan Huang, Jieqiang Zhong, Wenjing Peng, Yehia Mechref. Investigation of ganglioside Isomers to reveal the Expression Differences in Neuron Cells and Breast Cancer Cell Lines using nano-ZIC-HILIC-LC-MS.
– Mona Goli, Jair Montford, Katya Torres Ulloa, Ahmed Hussien, Wenjing Peng, Yehia Mechref. Better Investigation of Integrin Expression in Cancer Cell Lines by Comparison of Different Membrane Protein Enrichment Methods.
– Byeong Gwan “Andrew” Cho, Wenjing Peng, Yifan Huang, Yehia Mechref. GlyLipSILC - Glycolipid Stable Isotope Labeling in Cell Cultures.
– Sakshi Gautam, Wenjing Peng, Xue Dong, Jingfu Zhao, Yifan Huang, Aiying Yu, Jieqiang Zhong, Yehia Mechref. Characterizing Glycans and Glycan Isomers Associated With Breast Cancer Tissue Phenotypes.
– Jieqiang Zhong, Yifan Huang, Wenjing Peng, Yehia Mechref. Isomeric linkage determination of sialic acid on O-glycopeptides using O-protease and LC-MS/MS.
– Seth Williamson, Byeong Gwan “Andrew” Cho, Jair Montford, Yehia Mechref. Dual Enzymatic Digestion Enabling Simultaneous Release of Glycans from Glycoproteins and Glycolipids.
– Xue Dong, Yifan Huang, Jingfu Zhao, Aiying Yu, Yehia Mechref. Isomeric Separation of Permethylated Glycans by Extra Long Reversed-Phase Liquid Chromatography (RPLC)-MS.
■ Prof. Hutchins gave a presentation entitled Synthesis of Bezafibrate Salts: Application of and Exceptions to the pKa Rule at the Crystal Forms Meeting in Bologna, Italy on June 10, 2019.
■ Prof. Poirier gave the following invited presentations:
– Adiabatic Quantum Trajectory Capture Method for Ultra-cold Chemical Reactions International Symposium on Quantum Effects in Chemistry and Biology NYU-ECNU Center for Computational Chemistry, Shanghai, CHINA on June 2, 2019.
– The crystal algorithm: Finding –and fixing – leaky “holes” in potential energy surfaces Telluride Science Research Center Workshop: Spectroscopy and Dynamics of Coupled Anharmonic Vibrations of Floppy Molecular Systems, Telluride, CO on June 10, 2019
– Exact Quantum Dynamical Treatment of Hydrogen-material Interactions: Fe(H)2(H2)(PEtPh2)3 and [FeH(H2)(PH3)4]+ 19th International QAMTS Workshop, Borovets, Bulgaria on June 18, 2019.
■ Research Prof. Eckert, a research professor in Prof. Poirier group, organized the XIXth International Workshop on Quantum Atomic and Molecular Tunneling Systems (QAMTS) in Borovets, Bulgaria, from June 17 to June 21, 2019. This interdisciplinary series of workshops encompasses work on tunneling of protons and heavier species in gas and condensed phases, in general, including biological systems, chemical reactions, transport phenomena in solids and liquids and in systems of lower dimensionality.
Dr. Janos Sarka (Postdoc in the Poirier group) has received a MolSSI "Seed" Software
Fellowship. MolSSI is the "Molecular Sciences Software Institute", an NSF-funded center
housed in Blacksburg Virginia, + More serving “the worldwide community of computational molecular scientists as a nexus
for science, education, and cooperation.” The fellowship provides travel to Blacksburg
for training, as well as six-months' salary. Janos received the fellowship for developments
of the ScalIT code.Learn More
Prof. Michael Mayer has been elected to the Texas Tech University Teaching Academy.
Prof. Mayer and the 11 other new members (university-wide) will be officially inducted
into the Academy during the New Member Induction Ceremony in September 2019. Learn More
Dr. W. David Nes has been honored with a special issue in the journal Molecules entitled
"Chemical Biology of Sterols, Triterpenoids and Other Natural Products: A Themed Issue
in Honor of Professor W. David Nes on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday".+ More This honor is a testament to the impact Dr. Nes' research has had on the sterol community
for the past 40 years.' Learn More
Dr. Robert D. Long received the department's 2019 Staff Appreciation award - Administrative
and Dr. Daniel Unruh received the 2019 Staff Appreciation award - Technical.Learn More
Prof. Cozzolino has been awarded an NSF CAREER grant titled 'Pnictogen Bonding in
Solution: Developing Tools for the Self-assembly of Inverted Bilayer Membranes, Heteromolecular
Dyads and Supramolecular Catalysts.' + More This award will be funded by the Macromolecular, Supramolecular and Nanochemistry
(MSN) Program in the Division of Chemistry ($655,710 for 5 years.) Learn More
Sakshi Gautam, a graduate student in Prof. Mechref, was awarded the Analytical and
Bioanalytical Chemistry (ABC) Poster Award for the excellent presentation of particularly
significant innovative analytical research + More at the 43rd International Symposium on Capillary Chromatography & 16th GCxGC Symposium. The poster was entitled Glucose Unit index (GUI) of Permethylated Glycans for Effective identification of
Glycans and Glycan Isomers and coauthored by Sakshi Gautam, Wenjing Peng, Byeong Gwan "Andrew" Cho, Yifan Huang,
Alireza Banazadeh, Aiying Yu, Xue Dong, Yehia Mechref.Learn More
Chitranjan Srivastav has been awarded a competitive 'James D. and Mary Hazlewood
Memorial Graduate Fellowship' by the Graduate School. The award is for $3000 in the
upcoming academic year. Learn More
Cecila Smith (Mentor: Prof. Findlater) placed 3rd out of 288 entrants in the '2019
TrUE Undergraduate Research Conference' at TTU on April 2nd and 3rd for her poster
'Conversion of Imines to Secondary Amines Using Iron-Catalyzed Hydrosilylation.' Learn More
Grad student Shipra Garg (Krempner group) has been awarded a Helen DeVitt Jones Graduate
Fellowship. The Fellowship award is $3500 per year for 3 years (Doctorate) starting
fall 2019. Learn More
Grad student Amandeep Brar (Krempner group) has been awarded a Texas Tech University
Doctoral Dissertation Completion Fellowship through the Graduate School. The award
provides monthly salary and tuition/fee waivers beginning fall 2019 through graduation
in Summer 2020.Learn More
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is committed to providing high quality
education in the chemical and biochemical sciences for undergraduate and graduate
students, producing research contributions that are recognized nationally and internationally,
and making service contributions at all levels.
No events scheduled for the week
TTUCHEMBIO@TTUChem (Undergraduate)@TTUChemGrad (Graduate)