Buying the Right Computer
All incoming students are required to have a laptop for use during class and to access university and college network resources while on campus. We strongly advise that students purchase a laptop powerful enough to run engineering software, including simulations, that they will encounter during their four-year degree.
Mac systems are not recommended for any TTU engineering degree plan. While the Whitacre College of Engineering's virtual labs give students access to most engineering software, it's not unusual to need to run Windows freeware or student versions of software to complete courses. Most engineering software is Windows-based and running a virtual machine on a Mac will not provide the performance and stability which is required by most engineering software.
Recommended Laptop Specifications
This laptop will run engineering software, including simulations, 3D drawings, and numeric calculations which you will encounter throughout your four year degree.
- Windows 10 Professional
- Intel Core i7 10th or 11th generation 6 core or 8 core processor (2.5GHz
- Minimum 16GB DDR4 RAM or 32GB DDR4 RAM (Dual Channel
- 256GB - 512GB Solid State Drive (SSD) for OS and applications
- 500GB or higher Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive for storing data
- NVIDIA Quadro T1000, T2000, Quadro RTX 3000 series or higher, or GeForce RTX 2000/3000 series GPU preferred
- 15" Widescreen
The specifications above will run engineering software, including simulations, 3D
drawings, and numeric calculations which you will encounter throughout your four-year
Laptops will be available for purchase through the following vendors:
Mac or Chromebook systems should not be considered for the following reasons:
- Almost all engineering software is Windows-based
- Running a virtual machine on a Mac will not provide the performance and stability which is required by most engineering software.
- Chromebooks are not designed to run high-performance engineering software and do not have the hardware specifications capable of supporting engineering software.
Dell Precision 5550 (base price $1,952.19)
Alienware m15 R4 (base price $2,010.10)
- Processor options: i7-10850H (6 cores), i7-10870H (8 cores), or i9-
10885H (8 cores). Note: i7-10870H (8 cores) only available on
Alienware m15 R4.
- OS: Windows 10 Pro
- Display: 15.6" IPS Screen
- Graphics card options: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
- Memory options: 16GB DDR4, 32GB DDR4, or 64GB DDR4 (Dual
Channel memory recommended)
- Storage: 512GB SSD or larger with a 500GB secondary internal or
external SSD or HDD for storing data recommended
- Connectivity: Bluetooth, WiFi, 1Gb Ethernet
- Warranty: 1 to 5 years Pro Support Plus (4 years recommended with
Accidental Damage Protection)
For assistance with purchasing a laptop please contact:
Engineering IT Services at 806-742-3453
Remi Kiwior, Director of IT, Engineering IT Services at
806-834-7969 or email@example.com