Buying the Right Computer
All incoming students are required to have a laptop for use during class and to access university and college network resources while on campus. We strongly advise that students purchase a laptop powerful enough to run engineering software, including simulations, that they will encounter during their four-year degree.
Mac systems are not recommended for any TTU engineering degree plan. While the Whitacre College of Engineering's virtual labs give students access to most engineering software, it's not unusual to need to run Windows freeware or student versions of software to complete courses. Most engineering software is Windows-based and running a virtual machine on a Mac will not provide the performance and stability which is required by most engineering software.
Recommended Laptop Specifications
This laptop will run engineering software, including simulations, 3D drawings, and numeric calculations which you will encounter throughout your four year degree.
- Windows 10 Professional
- Intel Core i7 6 core or higher core processor
- Minimum 16GB DDR4/DDR5 RAM
- 512GB Solid State Drive (SSD)(Primary drive for operating system and software)
- 500GB or higher external SSD or Hard Disk Drive (HDD) for storing data
- Dedicated GPU: RTX A2000 - 4000 or GeForce RTX 3060 - 3080
- 15" Widescreen recommended
The specifications above will run engineering software, including simulations, 3D
drawings, and numeric calculations which you will encounter throughout your four-year
Recommended laptops will be available for purchase through the following link:
Mac and Chromebook computers should not be considered for any degree for the following reasons (with the exception of Mac usage for the Computer Science degree):
- Almost all engineering software is Windows-based
- Running a virtual machine on a Mac will not provide the performance and stability which is required by most engineering software.
- Chromebooks are not designed to run high-performance engineering software and do not have the hardware specifications capable of supporting engineering software.
For assistance with purchasing a laptop please contact:
Engineering IT Services at 806-742-3453
Remi Kiwior, Director of IT, Engineering IT Services at
806-834-7969 or email@example.com