Challenge 4: "Eyes of the Robot"
This weekly challenge is dedicated to exploring more sensor inputs. It is entitled “Eyes of the Robot”. We will explore the Color Sensor (Light Sensor) in Part 1 and the Ultrasonic Sensor in Part 2. The Getting Started Modules “EV3 Software Overview”, “Programming the Color Sensor”, and “Programming the Ultrasonic Sensor” should provide you with most the information needed for this challenge.
Expected Learning Outcomes:
- Usage of the Color Sensor (stop at black line or stay within black boundary)
- Sensitivity of Color Sensor to lighting conditions
- Usage of the Ultrasonic Sensor (navigate through maze or alarm system)
- Showing sensor readings on display or in software
- Playing sound
Materials Needed (per group of three students):
- One charged LEGO NXT/EV3 kit and computer with software installed
- Black tape (e.g. electric tape, 1/2 to 3/4 inches wide) and a bright floor surface or white cardboard to be placed on dark floor surface
- Ruler or tape measure
- Go Halliburton mat
- Floor space
If you have a bright floor surface, tape an irregular shape on it (some type of “bubble”). The diameter of the shape should be at least three feet. Alternatively, if you have a dark surface, you could either use white tape or get a big piece of white cardboard and place it on the floor.
Approximate Time Needed:
- 45 to 60 minutes for Part 1: Color Sensor
- 30 to 60 minutes for Part 2: Ultrasonic Sensor
4.1 Color Sensor (Light Sensor) CLICK HERE for the Resource Page for Challenge 4.1 (printable PDF)
4.2 Ulrasonic Sensor CLICK HERE for the Resource Page for Challenge 4.2 (printable PDF)