Mathematics & Statistics
News & Upcoming Events
- Two new tenure-track positions are opening for the Mathematics & Statistics Department in the fields of computational biomathematics and applied statistics. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply at your earliest convenience
- The Scientific Computing meets Machine Learning and Life Sciences conference will be held October 7th-9th at the Texas Tech main campus in Lubbock. Special thanks to the National Science Foundation's grant and Horn Professor Linda Allen for their generous financial support
- Utilizing the novel concept of coupling finite element methods and material point methods in fluid-structure interaction problems, Professor Aulisa of TTU Math has been awarded a $250,000 NSF grant. Dr. Aulisa intends to develop computational techniques with a broad spectrum of applications -- cardiovascular valve fluid flow, civil engineering dam breakage, and aerospace airfoil design, amongst others. Congratulations Dr. Aulisa!
- The Simons Foundation has awarded TTU Math Professor and Chair Dr. Magdalena Toda a $42,000 grant to be paid over 5 years for her project Applications of Willmore Energy Functionals to Protein Biology. Congratulations Dr. Toda!
- Congratulations to TTU Math Post-Doc Joshua Padgett, who, as co-Principal Investigator along with Evdokiya Kostadinova from Baylor, have been awarded an NSF Grant for the project Onset Turbulence in Dusty Plasma Liquids. Job well done!
- Math Professors Brock Williams and Raegan Higgins, along with PI and Education Professor Jerry Dwyer and TTU's Michael Galyean and Jill White, have been awarded an NSF STEM grant worth over $1.1 million! This is a supplemental grant to the existing Noyce Scholarship program to foster high-quality STEM teacher recruitment. Congratulations to Dr.'s Williams and Higgins!
- The Department welcomes new tenure track Assistant Professors Tao Lu (Statistics, University of Rochester, Ph.D), Kazuo Yamazaki (Applied, PDEs & Stochastic, Ph.D. Oklahoma State 2014), Hung Tran (Geometric Analysis & PDEs, Ph.D. Cornell 2014), and Stamatis Pouliasis (Potential Theory & Complex Analysis, Ph.D. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki 2011) in the Fall of 2019.
- Biomathematician Toufik Khyat (Ph.D. Rhode Island 2017) and Geometrist Daniel Grady (Ph.D. Pittsburgh 2015) join TTU Mathematics and Statistics this Fall in PostDoc capacities. Welcome!
- Professor Lars Christensen has received the 2019 Professing Excellence Award. This honor, nominated by students, and was bestowed on March27th. Congratulations Dr. Christensen!
- Dr. Brock Williams received the College of Arts and Sciences Teaching Innovation Award. Besides the prestige that comes from winning the competitive award established by Dean Lindquist, a monetary prize accompanies the accolade. Congratulations Dr. Williams!
- New tenure-track Assistant Professor Dr. Chunmei Wang has received an NSF Grant totaling $400,000 distributed incrementally until 2023. Congratulations, Dr. Wang, and a prestigious beginning to your career here at Texas Tech!
- Professor Lars Christensen has been named 2019 Outstanding Researcher from the College of Arts and Sciences. Congratulations Dr. Christensen!
- Dr. Angela Peace was awarded an NSF Grant worth $80,000 that pertains to bettering our understanding of malaria transmission, entitled Collaborative Research: Linking Pharmacokinetics to Epidemiological Models of Vector-Borne Diseases and Drug Resistance Prevention. A collective award across 5 universities, the total grant is worth $550,000. Congratulations, Dr. Peace!