Welcome to the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics is one of the largest departments on campus, with 46 tenured and tenure track faculty (45 actively working in the department with one serving in upper administration: TTU President Lawrence Schovanec). In addition, the Department includes 8 postdoctoral associates (including an NSF-funded postdoc), and 9 instructors. The graduate enrollment has averaged 150 grad students per year since 2015. Of them, 100 are currently supported full time as graduate part-time instructors, teaching assistants or research assistants.
To minimize your risk during the COVID-19 outbreak, we ask that you contact the Department primarily through email at email@example.com, or the Undergraduate Advisor or Graduate Advisor as appropriate. Calls to the Department can be made to (806) 742-2566. See the University's COVID-19 page.
- The Emmy Noether High School Mathematics Day is returning. This Departmental STEM tradition encouraging young women to pursue coursework and careers in engineering, science and mathematics began in 2003 and continues this Spring. Mark your calendars for Friday, May 6th.
- Dr. Leif Ellingson is the Principle Investigator, and Dr. Linda Allen the co-PI for the continuance of an NSF Grant worth over $102,000, REU Site: Mathematical, Statistical, and Computational Methods in the Life Sciences
- Associate Math Professor Dr. Raegan Higgins and TTU President and Math Professor Lawrence Schovanec have been awarded over $2 million for the NSF grant Louis Stokes New STEM Pathways Implementation-Only Alliance: The Bridges Across Texas Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation
- Dr. Amanda Laubmeier's project Predator Competition in Systems with Seasonal Birth has been awarded an NSF Grant worth almost $193,000
- Via the TTU IMMS, Dr. Dimitri Volchenkov has obtained a contract with AVX Aircraft worth over $308,000
- An NSF Grant worth more than $237,000 has been awarded to Assistant Professor Wei Guo for project Adaptive High Order Low-Rank Tensor Methods for High-Dimensional Partial Differential Equations with Application to Kinetic Simulations
- Dr. Hung Tran's project Geometry of Surfaces and Four-Dimensional Manifolds has been awarded an NSF Grant worth almost $212,000
- Dr. Álvaro Pámpano has received an AMS Simons Travel Grant for 2021-2022.
- Dr. Bhagya Athukorallage, "Dr. B" to his admiring students, received the Diamond Award for innovative teaching. Congratulations!
- Atul Dixit, Assistant Professor at IIT Gandhinagar and former grad student of Dr. Alex Solynin, has been awarded the 2021 Gabor Szego prize from SIAM.
- Congratulations to Dr. Angela Peace for receiving the President's Award for Excellence in Teaching for 2021.
- Congratulations to Dr.'s Angela Peace and Fangyuan Zhang for being granted tenure this February from the TTU Board of Regents.
- Through the efforts of Dr.'s Lindquist and Rachev, the Department is now offering a new Ph.D. track, Mathematical Finance.
- More News
The Texas Tech Mathematics & Statistics Department is committed to achieving significant
research while providing high-quality education for our students at the undergraduate
and graduate levels. We have several active areas of research. Click here for descriptions of current research topics done by our faculty, post-docs, and graduate
students in the Mathematics & Statistics Department. We are passionate about our student's
We welcome you to our department and look forward to the bright future ahead of you!
Seminars & Colloquia
Full Schedule of Events Available here