Texas Tech University

Academic Resources


University Housing -Residential Tutoring

The Residential Tutoring program is designed to provide academic services for students living in the residence halls at Texas Tech University. Residential Tutoring is a completely free service provided for all on-campus students during convenient hours and close to home.

Residential Tutors (RTs) provide peer tutoring in subjects that residence hall students struggle with the most frequently, according to campus data. These areas of study are:

  • Chemistry (1307 and 1308)
  • Math (1351 and 1352)
  • Writing (in any subject area)
  • Political Science (1301)
  • History (2300 and 2301)
  • Biology (1403)
  • Physics (1403 and 1408)

Residential Tutoring is available during the Academic Year Sunday through Wednesday, 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Click here for locations

The Learning Center

The Learning Center offers a variety of FREE services to all currently enrolled undergraduate Texas Tech students to ensure academic success:

  • Drop-in peer tutoring in subjects such as Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Accounting, and Engineering.
  • Individual academic planning, support, and coaching
  • Peer academic coaching that provides students with skills in test taking, time management, etc.
  • Online tutoring Monday through Thursday from 7:30 AM-10 PM (in some subjects)

*Located in Drane Hall Room 164|806.742.3664

Supplemental Instruction (SI)

Supplemental Instruction offers free, peer-led review sessions for historically difficult courses. SI Leaders, are peer students who have demonstrated academic mastery in the course, prepare weekly review sessions by attending lecture, taking notes, and meeting with the course instructor. Sessions offer guaranteed study time and additional support outside of the classroom. *Located in Drane Hall, Room 135|806.742.3664

CLICK HERE for Weekly SI Sessions Schedule

University Writing Center

The University Writing Center staff at Texas Tech University understands how time consuming and difficult it is to produce an effective piece of writing by providing:

  • writers with 30-minute one-on-one tutorials on writing, icluding resumes,personal statements, research papers, and articles for publications
  • writers will recieve honest, constructive feedback and instruction so that their writing process and pre-products become more effective.
  • Their Staff of tutors includes graduate students, instructors, and faculty. Each brings varying degrees of expertise, experience, and education to our work.

To contact the University Writing Center, please call (806)742.2476,ext.2

Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Located in 175 English/Philosophy Building

Class Absences

The Office of the Dean of Students understands that situations arise during the semester where students miss class for an extended part of the semester. Students are encouraged to contact their faculty members directly, and provide appropriate documentation upon request if they are going to miss less than a week of class.

Students that are expected to be absent from class longer than a week should contact their academic dean. Please see OP34.04 for more details about absences from Texas Tech.

How to talk to your professor about missing class:

For any situation where a student is missing class, we recommend the student contact the instructor first. The following is a list of tips when contacting your instructors about class absences:

  • Talk to your professor at the earliest convenience if absences are planned.
  • E-mail your instructor of missing class time. If known, indicate how long you will be gone, and a  general reason for the class absences (medical, funeral, personal situation, etc.).
  • Visit your professor during their office hours, or set up an appointment to discuss class absences.
  • Some instructors might ask for documentation related to your class absences. Make copies of the documentation, and provide an additional copy to the instructors that have asked for one.
  • Try to make up any missing class work before hand.

Class Absence Frequently Asked Questions

Can class absences be excused?

The instructor for each course has the discretion of excusing class absences, even if the instructor was notified of class absence. Please refer to your syllabi. Academic departments may also have additional attendance requirements.

What if I have a chronic illness?

For students that have chronic illnesses, please contact Student Disability Services for possible classroom accommodations.

What if I have been absent from class and miss the drop or withdrawal deadline?

If you feel you have a documentable extenuating circumstance, please contact either your academic dean or the Office of the Dean of Students to discuss the possible options. Graduate Students should contact their Program Director and/or the Graduate School.

Are you considering academic options? It is helpful to know the differences between a drop or a withdrawal from the university. This webpage will explain the differences between the two procedures.

Withdrawal from Classes

      • Withdrawal from the university will result in all courses being removed and your student account being inactivated.
      • Does not count against the six drop limit.
      • Does not factor into a student's grade point average. The date of a withdrawal will determine if and how it is reflected on the transcript.
      • Withdrawal information
      • Withdrawal FAQ

Dropping a Course

      • Dropping a course(s) during a semester means that a student is still enrolled in classes for the current term.
      • Texas Administrative Code Title 19, Part 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter A, Rule 4.10 limits the number of allowable drops for an undergraduate student to a total of six (6) for all institutions of higher education attended.
      • Dropping a course(s) can be done on Raiderlink, through the MyTech tab.
      • Drops do not count against the grade point average, and are noted as a DG on the transcript.
      • Drop FAQs

Drop and Withdrawal Frequently Asked Questions 

Will I get a refund if I drop a course(s) or if I withdraw?

  • Students will receive a refund based on the date of the dropped courses or withdrawal from the university. Published dates for a refund with a withdrawal are posted on the Student Business Services website.
  • The academic calendar also lists the last days to drop a course and receive a refund for the semester. 

Are there any financial implications for dropping a class or withdrawing from Texas Tech?

  • There could be financial implications if a student decides to drop a course or withdrawal from the University. Please check with the Office of Financial Aid if you are receiving any loans or grants.
  • Additionally, scholarships can also be affected by dropping a course or withdrawing from the university. Please check with the Scholarship Office to determine if there are any implication

If I drop a course, or withdraw from the university, how will that affect my grade?

Dropping a course or withdrawing from the university will not affect a student's grade point average. However, the drop will be noted as a DG on the transcript for the dropped course, and the withdrawal will be noted as a W for all of the courses the student withdraws from during the semester.

If I withdraw from the university, do I have to reapply to Texas Tech?

  • It depends on the length of time the student has withdrawn and is not attending classes.
  • For example, if a student withdraws for the fall semester and remains enrolled in spring classes the student does not need to reapply to Texas Tech.
  • However, if a student is not registered for any classes in a future term, then he or she will need to reapply with the Former Tech application. In most cases, the student's previous advisor can determine if the student will need to reapply to the institution for a period of absence.
  • Graduate Students should contact their Program Director and/or the Graduate School.

If I no longer want to be a student at Texas Tech what should I do?

  • If a student no longer wants to remain a student at Texas Tech they will need to withdrawal from the current semester, and any future semesters. Students are advised to check and work with any offices that add holds to their account which might delay this process.
  • Graduate Students should contact their Program Director and/or the Graduate School.

Do I have to talk to my advisor, professor or other in Texas Tech administration if I would like to drop or withdraw from the institution?

  • Although it is not required, the Office of the Dean of Students recommends that students talk to their academic advisor, Office of Financial Aid (if they are receiving financial aid), or the Scholarship Office (if they are receiving a scholarship). Graduate Students should contact their Program Director and/or the Graduate School.
  • If there are personal issues that are affecting your decision such as medical, financial, or mental health please contact the Office of the Dean of Students to discuss academic options.

I have a registration hold that is preventing me from withdrawing, what should I do?

Only offices that adds a hold to student accounts can remove them. The Office of the Dean of Students recommends the student work directly with the office that has added the hold, so the hold can be removed in a timely manner.

I have already completed a course and received a grade for this term, may I still withdraw?

Completed course grades may not be removed from your record. You may use your drop count if you have drops remaining. If you have documentable extenuating circumstances, you may set an appointment to discuss options with your Academic Dean or the Office of the Dean of Students

Former Tech (Undergraduate) Students

See the Former Tech Readmission page for undergraduate students formerly enrolled at Texas Tech wishing to re-enroll.


The grade of I is given only when a graduate or undergraduate student's work is satisfactory in quality but, due to reasons beyond her/his control, course requirements have not been completed. It is not given in lieu of an F, W, PR, or NC. The instructor assigning the grade must stipulate in writing at the time the grade is given, the conditions under which they may be removed and the specific date by which the make-up work is to be completed. The assigned work and a change of grade must be recorded within one calendar year from the date the I is awarded. Failure to do so results in an F for that course for graduate and undergraduate coursework. The incomplete (I) form should be initiated by the instructor of record online through the Office of the Registrar.

Please see TTU Operating Policy for more information.


Pregnancy and Childbirth

Please report any issues, concerns, or remedies regarding pregnancy and childbirth HERE.

Undergraduate Academic Standing Policy

Beginning with the 2017-2018 academic year, Texas Tech University adopted a new Academic Standing Policy. Texas Tech University is committed to student success and assisting students in being accountable for engaging in the educational process. Academic Standing is determined upon the completion of the academic terms (fall, spring, summer) and is based on both current and prior academic performance. Academic Standing can be an important indicator of progress and is used to assist with determining appropriate steps to help a student achieve educational goals. The possible academic standing levels for students are as follows:

1. Academic Good Standing
2. Academic Warning
3. Academic Probation
4. Academic Suspension
5. Academic Dismissal
6. Permanent Academic Dismissal

Please CLICK HERE for  more information. 

Information for Graduate Students

Spring 2020 Grading Options 

Credit/No Credit 


Office of the Dean of Students