Restaurant, Hotel & Institutional Management
B.S. Degree in RHIM
Prepare for top hospitality management career opportunities with our hotel and restaurant bachelor's degree.
Major employers from across the globe visit Texas Tech each semester to recruit our
hotel and restaurant management graduates. The majority of our hospitality management
students have job offers waiting for them at graduation.
The RHIM degree at Texas Tech is consistently ranked as one of the nation's top hotel and restaurant management degree programs. RHIM is ranked a top 100 program by QS World University Rankings, #6 best online program by University HQ and accredited by the prestigious Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA).
Texas Tech focuses on practical work experience and management skills. You will get superior career preparation in our hospitality management degree program, with benefits including:
- Hands-on experience. You will get at least 1,200 hours of practical workplace experience (including a 400-hour off-campus internship), plus additional hours in state-of-the-art classroom kitchens and labs.
- Superior facilities. Texas Tech has on-site classrooms including the four-star Overton Hotel & Conference Center, the student-run Skyviews Restaurant, one of the best fine-dining experiences in West Texas. You will have the opportunity to practice your culinary skills in our H-E-B culinary labs.
- A focus on business. Texas Tech's restaurant and hotel management degree provides you with an outstanding business education. You will get excellent preparation in marketing, accounting, management, finance, and law.
- Travel and study abroad. You will have opportunities to visit and study in national and international travel destinations and food capitals.
- Professional networking. Thousands of Texas Tech restaurant and hotel degree graduates work in the hospitality industry, so you will have a built-in network of contacts.
Upon completion of the degree, students can demonstrate:
- Effective and appropriate communication in both written and oral formats.
- The preparation, maintenance, analysis, and utilization of financial documents and data related to hospitality management organizations.
- The ability to discuss, examine, and evaluate management practices in the hospitality industry.
- The ability to define, discuss, give examples of, and examine ethical issues related to hospitality management organizations.
- Comprehension of access & engagement, as well as sustainability issues facing professionals in hospitality management.
Our Hotel and Restaurant Bachelor's Degree Emphasizes Business
Employers prefer Texas Tech graduates because our hospitality management program has such a strong business focus. You will get hands-on training in industry-standard computer software, which gives you a big advantage in the job market. In addition, you will learn the business side of hotel and restaurant management with courses in:
- Personnel management
- Hospitality law
- Facilities management
You will also develop the interpersonal skills hospitality industry employers look for. Our hotel and restaurant program fosters close relationships, so you'll learn to communicate well and work on strong teams.
Hotel and Restaurant Management Career Opportunities
Texas Tech's hotel and restaurant management degree program has a highly successful job placement rate. The world's leading hospitality industry employers recruit our graduates aggressively.
You will have opportunities to work all over the United States and the world, pursuing careers such as:
- Executive chef
- Food and beverage director
- Hotel manager
- Event planner
- Catering director
You will enhance your learning with hands-on experiences in areas of:
- Food and Beverage
Companies Our Graduates Received Job Offers From
Most of our graduates receive job offers before graduation. You will have access to a vast alumni network. Many students have gone on to work for companies like: