Restaurant, Hotel & Institutional Management
Prepare for top hospitality management career opportunities with our hotel and restaurant bachelor's degree.
Major employers from across the globe visit Texas Tech each semester to recruit our hotel and restaurant management graduates. The majority of our hospitality management students have job offers waiting for them at graduation.
Consistently ranked as one of the nation's top hotel and restaurant management degree programs, Texas Tech focuses on practical work experience and management skills. You will get superior career preparation in our hospitality management degree program, with benefits that include:
- Hands-on experience. You will get at least 1,200 hours of practical workplace experience (including a 400-hour off-campus internship), plus additional hours in state-of-the-art classroom kitchens and labs.
- Superior facilities. Texas Tech has on-site classrooms at the four-star Overton Hotel & Conference Center, and our hospitality management students operate the Skyviews Restaurant, one of the best fine-dining experiences in West Texas.
- A focus on business. Texas Tech's restaurant and hotel management degree provides you with an outstanding business education. You will get excellent preparation in marketing, accounting, management, finance, and law.
- Travel and study abroad. You will have opportunities to visit and study in national and international travel destinations and food capitals.
- Professional networking. Thousands of Texas Tech restaurant and hotel degree graduates work in the hospitality industry, so you will have a built-in network of contacts.
Upon completion of the degree, students should know how to do the following:
- Effectively and appropriately communicate in both written and oral formats.
- Prepare, maintain, analyze, and utilize financial documents and data related to hospitality management organizations.
- Discuss, examine, and evaluate management practices in the hospitality industry.
- Define, discuss, give examples of, and examine ethical issues related to hospitality management organizations.
- Comprehend the social, multicultural, and environmental dimensions of issues facing professionals in hospitality management.
The Restaurant, Hotel and Institutional Management degree is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration.
Our Hotel and Restaurant Bachelor's Degree Emphasizes Business
Employers prefer Texas Tech graduates because our hospitality management program has such a strong business focus. You will get hands-on training in industry-standard computer software, which gives you a big advantage in the job market. In addition, you will learn the business side of hotel and restaurant management with courses in:
- Personnel management
- Hospitality law
- Facilities management
You will also develop the interpersonal skills hospitality industry employers look for. Our hotel and restaurant program fosters close relationships, so you'll learn to communicate well and work on strong teams.
Hotel and Restaurant Management Career Opportunities
Texas Tech's hotel and restaurant management degree program has a highly successful job placement rate. The world's leading hospitality industry employers recruit our graduates aggressively.
You will have opportunities to work all over the United States and the world, pursuing careers such as:
- Executive chef
- Food and beverage director
- Hotel manager
- Event planner
- Catering director
You will enhance your learning with hands-on experiences in areas of:
- Food and Beverage