Fostering the Future
Support for students who are currently or formerly in foster care.
Our goal is to support and empower future Red Raiders who are currently in foster care, and youth who were adopted-out/aged-out of foster care, by connecting them with resources to ensure academic and personal success.
We encourage foster youth currently or formerly under the conservatorship of the Texas
Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) and those adopted from DFPS, to
pursue a higher education at Texas Tech University. Eligible students may receive
a tuition exemption.
To find out whether you are eligible for this tuition exemption, contact the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services and request Form 1810: DFPS Verification of the State College Tuition and Fee Waiver. Once DFPS confirms eligibility for the exemption, students are able to receive the exemption indefinitely.
- Are not required to be Texas residents when awarded, as long as they meet the DFPS program requirements.
- Are not required to demonstrate financial need.
- Must be registered with Selective Service, or be exempt.
- Must meet the enrollment eligibility requirements before the age of 25*. However, students are not required to receive the exemption before the age of 25.
- Can continue receiving the exemption even if they are not meeting the institution's grade point average (GPA) requirement, as long as they are meeting institutional registration requirements.
- Can continue receiving the exemption even if they are enrolled in excessive hours (TEC, Section 54.014).
- Who meet the enrollment eligibility requirements can receive the exemption while attempting any program of study offered at an eligible institution (i.e., undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral degree).
- Enroll and be admitted at an eligible institution in Texas.
- Request a tuition exemption approval letter (Form 1810) from DFPS staff.
- DFPS staff issues Form 1810 to the student by mail or email, confirming the student's program eligibility at the relevant institution.
- Eligible student submits Form 1810 to the institution.
- Institution verifies enrollment eligibility in the tuition exemption program.
- Institution verifies each year that the student remains eligible. (Student does not have to reapply each year.)
The staff listed below can be a direct resource to you ensuring that you quickly find solutions and answers to any questions you may have!
|Financial Aid & Scholarships
|Student Business Services
Senior Managing Director
|University Student Housing
Senior Managing Director
|Red Raider Orientation