Livestock, wool judging teams shine at Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
Texas Tech's Livestock Judging Team and its Wool Judging Team took first place honors at the intercollegiate livestock judging and wool judging contests on Monday (Mar. 11) at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. "I'm so proud of these kids," said Leslie Thompson, chair of Tech's Department of Animal and Food Sciences. "They've represented the Texas Tech in an outstanding manner."
The livestock team took first place with a score of 4,819, had three of the top ten high individuals and was first in the cattle and reasons divisions. The team is coached by Ryan Rathmann, an assistant professor in Tech's Department of Animal and Food Sciences, along with graduate student Brady Ragland. Houston is the last contest of the spring semester for the livestock and meat judging teams, and the last contest for the wool judging team, which does not compete in the fall.Among livestock judging's top individual winners were:
- Nick Rieke, a junior from LaOtto, Ind. (First-High Individual)
- Lane Halfmann, a junior from Garden City (Third-High Individual)
- Jordan Richburg, a junior from Deltona, Fla. (Ninth-High Individual)
- Logan Mason, a junior from Lazbuddie (High Individual, Alternate Division)
- Caetlyn Avant, a junior from Copeville
- Dan Crownover, a junior from Italy
- Blake Davis, a junior from Paragould, Ark.
- Bo Hutto, a junior from Hondo
- Emily Jackson, a junior from Waco
- Valerie Manning, a junior from Mabank
- Tanner Martin, a junior from Roscoe
- Kaitlyn Meyer, a junior from Temple
- Kevin Murnin, a junior from Miles City, Mont.
- Stephanie Neuhaus, a junior from Dora, N.M.
- Matt Savage, a junior from Seminole
- Isaac Wenzel, a junior from Hamilton
- Laramie Priest, a freshman from Lorena (High Individual)
- Colton Fritz, a freshman from Fredericksburg (Second-High Individual)
- Cade Hall, a freshman from Artesia, N.M. (Fifth-High Individual)
- Victoria Andrews, a freshman from Pflugerville (Seventh-High Individual)
- Reggie Halfmann, a freshman from Garden City (Ninth-High Individual)
- Drew Dunlap, a freshman from Plainview
- SyAnn Foster, a freshman from Lockney
- Deshea Hanagan, a freshman from Artesia, N.M.
- Garrett Lam, a freshman from Burkburnett
- Taylor Shackelford, a freshman from Gunter
- Taylor Stockton, a freshman from Lubbock
- Hayden Thorp, a freshman from Mertzon
- Chad Vander Linden, a sophomore from Muscatine, Iowa
- Calvin Welper, a freshman from Shallowater
- Tylee Jo Williams, a freshman from Memphis
CONTACT: Ryan Rathmann, assistant professor, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, Texas Tech University at 742-2805 ext. 233 or firstname.lastname@example.org