Gerardine (Gerri) G. Botte, Ph.D.
Welcome to Texas Tech Chemical Engineering. This past August I had the honor to join the Department as the Whitacre Department Chair. It has been exciting to work with premier faculty, outstanding students, fantastic staff, and highly engaged alumni. Our path for excellence in engineering, discovery, and innovation is stronger every day. We are excited to be leaders in the University's quest to be one of the top public institutions in the nation and to provide our students with great opportunities to learn and grow. Enjoy going through our web pages to get the full story, but a few highlights from the past year are below:
- The $ 1.2 M Morrow Energy Pilot Plant had been installed and will provide an industrial size distillation system for the unit operation laboratory.
- Texas Tech AIChE Student chapter was awarded 2018-2019 Outstanding Student Chapter Award
- Undergraduate and graduate students received recognition for their excellence, including undergraduate student Emil Khusnatdinov receiving the AIChE 2018-2019 Donald F. Othmer Sophomore Academic Excellence Award, and Ph.D. student Alex Zapata winning the North American Thermal Analysis Society best student poster
- Eighty-one B.S. students graduated in May 2019! Kudos to these new alumni!
- Record of 85 Ph.D. students enrolled in our department!
- Our faculty received grants from multiple agencies such as the National Science Foundation (including prestigious CAREER award to Dr. Sheima Khatib), National Institute of Health, US Department of Energy, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, AIChE RAPID, American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas, and Department of Defense, among others
- Faculty were recognized by a number of awards including AAAS Fellow (Dr. Chau-Chyun Chen), AIChE Fellow (Dr. Greg McKenna), International Award from the Society of Plastics Engineers (Dr. Sindee Simon), and several internal teaching and research awards (Priay Gill, Drs. Kathib, and Lacerda).
- Our department continues to grow, we have multiple faculty positions available at all levels
Please do not hesitate to get involved. Join the Chemical Engineering Academy and help us make our vision of excellence a reality. And, of course, do not hesitate to email me or stop by the department when you are in town!
Gerri Botte, Ph.D.