Texas Tech University

General Undergraduate FAQ


What can I do with an English major?

How do I contact the ENGL/PHIL advisor?

Diane Johnson
Undergraduate Advisor
English, Technical Communication, Philosophy

Office: English/Philosophy Bldg 211C
Phone: 806.834.3363
Fax: 806.742.0989

Texas Tech University
Box 43091
Lubbock TX 79409-3091


My office is located in the English/Philosophy building in 211C. The building is north of the College of Education building, northeast of Art and Architecture, southeast of the Business Administration building, and west of the old Dairy barn, the Foreign Language building that houses the Classical & Modern Languages & Literatures dept, and the building that houses the Plant & Soil Sciences dept and the Natural Resources Management dept.

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
No walk-in appointments, please email english.advisor@ttu.edu

Making Appointments

E-mail the English advisor at english.advisor@ttu.edu with your questions.

Return to top

What is DegreeWorks?

  1. Login to Raiderlink
  2. DegreeWorks is available under "Manage my Enrollment." Click on "Registration," and select "DegreeWorks."
  3. This is how the College of Arts and Sciences monitors your progress towards graduation. All of the information you need regarding credit hours, classes, and a graduation timeline are found here.

Return to top

Where and when do I register for classes?

Log in to Raiderlink (raiderlink.ttu.edu) using your eRaider username and password. Navigate to the TTU MyTech tab. Under Manage my Enrollment, select Registration.

When can I register? Or what is my eligible registration date?

The Advance Registration period happens twice a year: April and November. In April we register for both summer terms as well as the Fall. In November students register for their spring classes. In general the dates may be found in the Academic Calendar. Always use the Detailed version, but realize that students are turned on in groups based on your status or Earned Hours. See the question below.

To find out your specific day for registration log into Raiderlink and click on the file tab entitled “MyTech (for students)" just under the black bar.In the Registration box choose “Registration Status”. The Registration Status link is updated twice a year about the time the schedule goes live for Advance Registration.The University waits about 6 weeks in order for transfer and entering freshmen to get all their credits posted and so the registration dates (which are based on Earned Hours) are as accurate as possible. The schedule normally becomes visible early in the month prior to the registration period. Since we register twice a year (April and November), the University tries to make the next semester(s) schedule(s) available to you early in the month before (March and October).Check the Registration Status link once the schedule goes live in early March or October.

How do I pick classes for the upcoming semester?

There are several tools available on Raiderlink to help you – DegreeWorks, Section Search Tool, and Schedule Builder.

First, you need to look at DegreeWorks under Manage My Enrollmentand Registration. DegreeWorks lists your GPA, expected graduation date, your college, major, minor, catalog year, credit hours earned, and it lists all of your required classes per your degree plan. This will help you get a better idea of class options for the upcoming semester.

Next, you will want to use Section Search Tool or Schedule Builder to look up specific classes. Both of these tools are under Manage My Enrollment and Registration.

Section Search Tool allows you to search classes by term, campus, and subject. It lists all of the available classes including seats available, time/location of the class, and the CRN.

If you prefer a visual representation of your weekly schedule, Schedule Builder is the better option. You need to select the current term, Lubbock TTU campus, and then you can add specific classes to your schedule by class title.

Be sure to write down all the CRNs you will need for registration. CRNs are the 5-digit number associated with every class. You need these to register for the specific class and section you want.

What is my status? or Do I register according to the hours I've completed so far or are the ones I'm taking now added in?

Your eligible registration date is established when the University runs a program and the computer scans your EARNED HOURS. The hours you are currently enrolled in are ATTEMPTED hours so will not be earned until the grades are posted. The chart below will help you establish your status based on your Earned Hours.

  • Freshman: 0-29 hours
  • Sophomore: 30-59 hours
  • Junior: 60-89 hours
  • Senior: 90 hours until completion

Will someone tell me when it is time to pre-register/time for Advance Registration?

Normally no one will remind you that Advance Registration is coming up or has begun, but there are general announcements made via TechAnnounce. Occasionally the advisor has other information that needs to be communicated and so will send out a letter and include this information as well. but you are responsible for looking at the Tech calendar and marking those dates onto your planner/calendar and keeping up with this information yourself.

Do I have to go to my advisor before I can register?

The English\Philosophy advisor does not require once-a-semester visits although other advisors often do. The English\Philosophy advisor helps you plan for graduation by teaching you how to use a number of worksheets and handouts that will help you plan for completion of the College of Arts & Sciences requirements. So having taught you how to make a plan, he/she expects you to revise or recreate the plan. Holds, therefore, are not automatically placed each time Advance Registration time approaches. This can empower you to take charge of your academic career, but you need never feel without resources. All of your advisors can be approached whenever you have questions or concerns that relate to their area of expertise. This advising practice normally allows for more quality time during advisement sessions that each student schedules whenever he/she feels it is needed.


Students sometimes find that they cannot register because they have a "hold". There are several types of holds, but registration holds (those that block a student's ability to add and drop classes) are the ones most frequently encountered. These are placed by various agencies on campus for various reasons so students must be vigilant in checking for these. I would suggest checking for holds once a month, around the 15th would be good. The earlier you find out about a hold, the more time you have to clear that block. You check your holds by using the "View Holds" link in either the Student Services or the Student Account box on MyTech in Raiderlink. You will need to read each of the boxes or columns and the message(s) entered in each. ONLY the Originator of the Hold can unblock you.

Error messages

Be sure to read the specific error you receive while registering. Here is a list of common errors:

ENGL 1301/1302 Errors: Email Dr. Monica Norris (monica.norris@ttu.edu).

Prerequisite errors: A prerequisite is class or score you need to meet before you can take a class. There are a couple of ways to look up what the prerequisites (prereqs) are for a class:

  • Find course descriptions for individual classes in the TTU course catalog 
  • On DegreeWorks, clicking on class options for each requirement takes you to a catalog description, which lists the prereqs.

If you believe you have met the prereqs required for a class, double-check your DegreeWorks and records. For instance, if you should have AP or SAT course credit, and it is does not appear to be in the system, send those scores to TTU again. If you took a prereq class at another institution, and it is not showing up on your records, send your transcript from that institution to TTU again. If everything on your end looks fine, and you are still receiving an error, contact an advisor in that class department.

Link errors: Some large classes or lecture sections require that you also sign up for a discussion section. Some science lectures require accompanying labs. Sometimes it's difficult to know what is linked to what. Again, there is a link at the top of the Add/Drop page that will get you to the Linked Section Search Tool. Follow the directions, in order, at the top of that page. After you follow the directions, the tiny plus signs to the left in the resulting box need to be clicked on to give you what is linked to what.

NOTE: Astronomy links are in a class of their own and the Linked Section Search Tool won't really give you everything you need. Like with all sciences you need a lecture and a lab so look at the section numbers. Lectures are usually 001, 002, etc. and labs are usually 500 something. Well, the Astronomy classes also have a 700 series that ALSO have to be selected. In other words, instead of only two sections, for the Astronomy classes, you need three sections linked together.

Restrictions: There are various restrictions, so read carefully. Campus restrictions usually apply to online or distance courses. These can be temporary, but if you want an exact date as to when the restriction will be lifted, contact the department offering the class. College or major restrictions restrict sections to certain majors or colleges. These may or may not be temporary. Contact the department offering the class. 

Finding distance classes

You can search for distance classes only using Section Search Tool and selecting “Distance TTU” as the campus. If there is a specific meeting time listed, you will need to be on your computer during that time. If the time is TBA, then it is most likely self-paced. Keep in mind that not all distance courses are eligible for Lubbock campus students. There's no guarantee you can take distance courses if you are a local Lubbock student.

Return to top

Where can I access my registration status, enrollment verification, and transcript?

All of these tools are available on Raiderlink under "Manage my Enrollment."

  1. Registration Status: On Raiderlink under "Managae My Enrollment," click on "Registration." From there, click on "Registration Statues (Dates and Holds)." Select the correct term.
  2. Enrollment Verification: You can also request enrollment verification under “Registration” by clicking on “Request Enrollment Verification.” Some students may need this to prove you are a current student for your insurance purposes or outside funding.
  3. Transcript: : Under “Manage My Enrollment,” click on “Transcript.” If you want to see your unofficial transcript, select “unofficial transcript.” If you need an official transcript, select “TTU Transcript Request.”

Return to top

What do I do if I have a hold on my account?

If there is a hold on your account, you need to get the hold removed from the office who placed it there. For instance, if you have a housing hold, you must contact housing to remove the hold.

Housing Hold: Go to University Student Housing (Wiggins Complex) 806-742-2696

Meningitis Shot Hold: Go to Student Health Services (Student Wellness Center 1st Floor) 806-743-2848

Time Ticket/Registration Hold: Contact your major advisor

Return to top

What are the ENGL/PHIL department's policies on overrides, permits, and late adds during registration?

During the approved registration time period, if a class reaches capacity, a student may ask for an override. This page covers overrides requested during the regular add periods. Keep in mind that capacities are set for a reason, and overrides are rarely permitted.
If a student does not have the necessary prerequisites for a course, they need to email the English advisor with their specific situation (english.advisor@ttu.edu).

Contact Information for Overrides/Permits

Undergraduate Advising

English/Philosophy Advisor | english.advisor@ttu.edu, philosophy.advisor@ttu.edu

English 1301 and English 1302
Dr. Monica Norris | monica.norris@ttu.edu

Graduate courses - 5000 level and above with the exception of Technical Communication
Dr. Julie Nelson Couch | julie.couch@ttu.edu

Graduate courses - 5000 level & above in Technical Communication
Dr. Christiana Christofides | 806.283.1365

Other Undergraduate English and Philosophy courses - english.advisor@ttu.edu or philosophy.advisor@ttu.edu

Philosophy Dept

Overrides for Philosophy classes are handled by the teachers. Students will need to contact the teacher directly who will then contact either the Philosophy main office or me if they are granting the override request. In order to process the request we need the student's name and R number as well as the exact course information. The CRN is the most helpful, but the section number will do. If the lecture requires a discussion section, we need to know which discussion section to add the student into.

Exception: If the class is capped at 25, that generally indicates that the class is being taught by a graduate student. The dept does not normally grant override requests into these classes.

Late Adds

The late add period is after the 4th day of class and before the 12th day of class in the fall and spring semesters. During summer terms, it starts after the 3rd and 4th class days. Adding late is strongly discouraged due to missed assignments and information. Attendance also needs to be considered as some professors count from the 1st day even if you weren't in the course yet.
Late adds are disrupting for the teacher as well as the student who have been attending from the beginning. Students who add late statistically do not do well for a variety of reasons. Therefore, late adds are never automatic, but require research and careful consideration. If adding late also requires an override, then please consult the override information as well.

Who to contact?

ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 – Dr. Monica Norris (monica.norris@ttu.edu)

Other Undergraduate English and Philosophy courses - Departmental Advisors (english.advisor@ttu.edu) or (philosophy.advisor@ttu.edu).

  • MUST have the professor's permission in and EMAIL including the student's R#, course prefix, CRN, and if possible, section number.

Return to top

What is a degree plan, and when do I need to fill one out?

The department's Glossary of Term defines a degree plan as the following: English and Philosophy majors are required to file a degree plan with the College of Arts & Sciences by the time they earn 45 to 60 hours. Arts and Sciences will place a hold on your account preventing you from registering. The procedure for completing a degree plan involves making an appointment with the appropriate major and minor advisor.

Return to top

What are the general degree requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences?

Please see the College of Arts and Sciences page for more information.

Return to top

What are the graduation requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences?

Download this Graduation Requirements checklist to keep track.

Return to top

What is the inside/outside rule in regards to credit hours?

The College of Arts & Sciences limits the number of hours students may take in coursework offered by other colleges such as Education, Human Sciences, Mass Communications, etc. Hence, we talk about inside hours or courses versus outside hours or courses.

How do you tell whether something is inside or outside?

Look up the course or program in the catalog. Since the catalog is arranged by sections according to college, once you are on the page describing the course or program, see which college section you are in. If you are anywhere other than the Arts & Sciences section, you have identified an outside course or program.

How many hours are we talking about?

If your minor or second major is inside Arts & Sciences, your limit or cap is 24 hours. If your minor or second major is outside Arts & Sciences, your limit or cap is 30 hours. If you have additional programs, if any one of them is outside, your cap is 30 hours. It goes no higher. That is probably why Arts &Sciences won't allow students to choose more than one of their programs to be outside.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. Because all but one of the classes that fulfill the Visual & Performing Arts requirement are outside, Arts & Sciences doesn't count the six hours you need for that requirement into your total outside hours. If, however, you take additional courses from that category for fun or for something else, then they will be added in.
Courses with either the HONS or the HUM prefixes did not count until Fall 2010. So they do not need to be added to the list unless they were taken Fall 2010 or after.

Return to top

How can I get credit for ENGL classes through my AP, IB scores or CLEP testing?

See Rhetoric and Composition (https://www.depts.ttu.edu/english/composition/default.php) for questions regarding including overrides, credit, RaiderWriter, teacher queries, and more. Credit for English 1301 and 1302 can be earned at TTU in a variety of ways:

  • AP credit
  • CLEP credit
  • IB credit

You can see what credit TTU grants for your score in a chart maintained by the Academic Testing Office. The chart is also usually in the undergraduate catalog. In older catalogs (before 2008-2009) and in 2010-2011 look up "Credit by Examination". There are also copies of the catalogs online. At that site go to the links on the left and choose “Electronic Archive.”

In order to contact the College Board to have AP scores sent:
AP Services
PO Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671
Phone: (609) 771-7300 or (888) 225-5427 (toll-free in the U.S. and Canada)
Email: apexams@info.collegeboard.org

If credit for English 1301 and 1302 was earned but is not posted on your transcript, then make sure the institution granting the credit sends the score report to the Registrar's office (PO Box 45015, Texas Tech University, Lubbock TX 79409-5015) at TTU. Remember that it is your responsibility to make sure the scores appear on your transcript. If a reasonable amount of time has passed and the credit is still not there, follow up. If you aren't sure who to contact to send the scores to TTU, contact the Registrar's office (806-742-3661).

If you are interested in taking the CLEP test to earn credit for English 1301, 1302, or sophomore English, you may inquire about that test in the Academic Testing Office (806-742-3671, West Hall 214). The test must be taken 3 months prior to getting credit on transcript.

If you took a course at another institution, that you think should be equivalent to English 1301 or 1302, but which the Transfer Evaluation Office did not so indicate, please acquire either a catalog description of the course (must be from the catalog that was in effect during the time period you took the course) or the syllabus from the course (must be the exact teacher and the exact semester you took it) and get that to Dr. Monica Norris (monica.norris@ttu.edu). The syllabus is preferred, but not always easy to come by.

Return to top

Can classes double for requirements?

Overall, the general rules for double counting classes are as follows:

Classes can count for either the major or the minor, but not for both.

Classes can count for adjunct, minor, and core (or A&S general education).

Classes can count towards the major and core (or A&S general education).

Classes can count towards the minor and core (or A&S general education).

Classes can count towards the multicultural requirement, core (or A&S general education), and major (or minor).

Return to top

What is the concurrent enrollment rule?

The department's Glossary of Term defines its concurrent rule as such: "Concurrent" typically means "at the same time." The 2009/2010 catalog states: "Students who are registered at Texas Tech and wish to register concurrently at another institution must obtain prior written approval from the academic dean of the college in which they are enrolled. This approval apples to all residence courses, extension courses, and distance education courses in progress elsewhere at the time of registration and those begun during the semester." The College of Arts & Sciences typically does not grant such permission except under exceptional circumstances.

Return to top

What is a distance class, and how can I take one?

The TTU Department of English offers undergraduate and graduate courses in face-to-face, hybrid, and online models. All online courses are rigorous and semester-based. They require regular, synchronous-chat meetings for participation and attendance. All courses are taught by highly experienced instructors and professors.


When you register through Raiderlink for a course, take note of the online meeting times. Your instructor will use TechMail to email you course startup information, such as the syllabus, how to purchase required materials, specific participation and attendance requirements.

The First-Year Writing Program, for ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302, uses a sophisticated database delivery system called Raider Writer. Consider taking English and Technical Communication & Rhetoric courses through the Bachelor of General Studies program at Texas Tech's University College.

Return to top

How/When can I drop a class?

Once you are enrolled in a class it is a simple procedure to drop it again. Simply return to the Add/Drop screen in MyTech (it's in the Registration box) and click on the drop down box next to the course you wish to delete. Click on "Drop" then click on "Submit Changes" and the deed is done. I do suggest printing out a copy of your Concise Schedule once you have finished all the adding and dropping you intend to do so you will have the assurance that you have done what you intended to do and so that you will have documentation in case the computer does something it shouldn't.

May I drop anytime I want?

No, thereare two deadlines set every semester: 1) last day to drop a course without academic penalty and 2) last day to drop a course with academic penalty (counts against the drop limit.

If you wish to drop a class before either of those dates, you will do so yourself on Raiderlink through “Add or Drop Classes”. However, your ability to drop classes will be terminated at the end of the day on the 45th class day during the spring and fall semesters.

State-mandated limits on dropping courses

Dropping a course delays graduation so the legislature began mandating limits on the number of courses a student may drop beginning in Fall 2007. Students who were enrolled in Texas Tech prior to Fall 2004 may continue to drop courses without limit, but students who began TTU during Fall 2007 or later are limited to "six dropped classes from all Texas public institutions of higher education attended during their undergraduate academic career, including any course a transfer student has dropped at another Texas public institution of higher education." However, students who find it necessary to withdraw completely from the University before the end of the semester will not have those drops counted against their total. There are exceptions which are listed in the undergraduate catalog.

Return to top

What does grade replacement mean?

The grade replacement policy is outlined in the catalog. Just look up "Grade Replacement" in the index. The 2011/2012 catalog states: "The Office of the Registrar will initiate the grade replacement process at the end of each term after a Texas Tech course had been retaken at Texas Tech University and prior to graduation." So, most grades will be replaced automatically. However, it's best to check that yours didn't fall between the cracks, so I would suggest checking two weeks after final grades are due. That date may be found in the Academic Calendar. If yours is missed, contact the Registrar's office in West Hall 103 or or fill out the form which may be found online and then turn that in to the Registrar's office. Once the grade replacement has been processed a note will be placed on your Academic Transcript underneath the title(s) of the course(s) being replaced that states "Grade Replaced". The course will never disappear. The "D" or "F" will always be visible, but the message says to whoever is looking at the transcript that you took the initiative to try again for a better result. Then that grade will be deleted from the computation that calculates your grade point average (GPA) so your cumulative GPA will be higher as a result. Each course that you are replacing will have an "E" out to the right which indicates that the grade is being excluded from your cumulative GPA and the credit hours are being excluded from the total Earned Hours.

The 2012/2013 catalog implemented a change to this policy so beginning with Fall 2012, a D will no longer grade replace an F. The wording is as follows: "The most recent A, B, or C will replace all previous grades of D or F in that course."

May I use a course taken at another institution to grade replace one taken at TTU?


May I use a distance learning class taken through TTU to grade replace a class taken in-class at TTU?

Yes. At least you can at the present time.

If I am grade replacing a repeatable class, do I have to retake it with the same professor? with the same subtitle?

Typically no. The instructor may be different and usually the subtitle may be different. One exception to this is the English 3351 course. If you need to grade replace English 3351 (fiction), you will have to take English 3351 again in fiction. Taking it in poetry or non-fiction won't work.

May I submit grade replacement forms after I graduate?


May I grade replace any grade?

No. You used to be able to, but beginning in Fall 2004, you may only grade replace grades of D or F and beginning in Fall 2012, a D will no longer replace an F.

May I attempt grade replacement more than once?

Yes. The 2011/2012 catalog states: "Students may repeat a course for credit only one time at the normal tuition rate. Additional tuition may be charged for a course taken more than two times."

How do grade replacements affect honors designations (Cum Laude, etc.)?

Only pure GPA's without grade replacements will be used for honors designations.

What do I do if I have an incomplete grade?

The 2009/2010 catalog states: "The grade of I is given only when a student's work is satisfactory in quality but, due to reasons beyond his or her control, has not been completed. It is not given instead of an F. Prior to assigning the I, the instructor must fill out a form available online with OP 34.12 stating the reasons beyond the student's control for granting the I and the conditions to be met to remove the I. All signatures are required on the form. The I may be replaced by an R if the course is repeated, and the appropriate grade will be given for the second registration. The grade of I will revert to an F after one calendar year if the conditions for completing the I as stated on the form have not been met."

The form may be found on the Arts & Sciences website, linked to the Faculty information, and on Raiderlink in the Faculty/Advisor links box. You may also click on the word "form" in the previous sentence. In addition, there is a page of explanation with directions that you should read. ( I found the page on the College of Arts & Sciences website.)

Teachers should not feel compelled to grant a student's request for a grade of incomplete. It is not always appropriate. The circumstances will have to guide the decision. If there is too much work missed or the teacher does not have the extra time needed to supervise the make-up work, then it is not appropriate. If the student was already failing, then it is not appropriate. Note, however, that the contract could require that the student repeat the class by registering for it a second time and earning a letter grade of A, B, C, D, or F. Evidently, earning a pass/fail type grade will not work.

Return to top

What are the academic support services available to students?

Check out this Access TECH's list of academic support services.

Return to top

What do I do if I want to take a pass/fail class?

Pass/Fail option: The courses you can take Pass/Fail are severely restricted. If you need the course for your major, your minor or for a Core or General Degree requirement, you MAY NOT take it pass/fail. The deadlines for declaring that you are taking a course pass/fail are stated in the Academic Calendar. It usually corresponds to the last day you can drop a course for that semester.

Return to top

Where can I plan multiple semesters at once?

Be sure to use DegreeWorks when planning your classes! You may also use this multiple semesters handout.

Return to top

If I have taken or am going to take a course at another institution, how do I know it will transfer?

I want to take a course at another institution and I want to make sure it will be a course I can use.

Many students take courses at other institutions for many reasons and they want to make sure it will transfer back to Texas Tech as a useful course. Most courses will transfer into Texas Tech, but their use here is another question. The Transfer Evaluation Office which is part of the Registrar's office evaluates transcripts from other institutions and helps to assign equivalents. They have created tables which you can access. I would suggest that after you select the state and institution that you then select All Courses or something to that effect so you can browse through the whole list rather than having to go back and forth.

What use do you want to make of that course? If you have questions, turn to the appropriate resource. For instance, if the course is to be applied to your major or minor, ask that advisor. If it is for a Core or General Degree requirement, your major advisor may know or you may have to consult your college advisor. In many cases that is the same person, but in the College of Arts & Sciences it is not.

Always consult the most recent list of courses for the Core or General Degree requirements. Students in the College of Arts & Sciences need to consult the General Degree Requirements for the current year. Students in other colleges may be able to consult the HTML version of the most recent catalog.

Important rule: The 30-hour rule as stated in the Uniform Undergraduate Degree Requirements section of the catalog (look for the section headed “Residence Credit”) establishes that “the last 30 hours of coursework must be from Texas Tech.” Each college determines exceptions to this rule and some are stricter than others so check with your academic or college advisor when you believe you are within 30 hours of your graduation. You certainly don't want to pay for a course at the local college and find that Texas Tech refuses to use it because you were within your last 30 hours when you took it!

Here are a couple of other things you might want to think about.

Distance learning courses (online, correspondence, extended studies, etc.) are particularly important to check on since some colleges require that you gain approval for those types of courses in advance.

If the course you are planning on taking at another school is a prerequisite for something you want to take at Texas Tech, you want to plan so that you can get the course done and get the transcript into Texas Tech's Office of the Registrar in time for it to be posted (to appear on your transcript) before you need to register for that next course. Some departments will allow you to register for the course at the other institution and then show them the proof of registration in order to enroll in the needed class at Tech. The English Dept is not one of those. We ask that you be responsible for meeting the prerequisites by getting the courses posted so that you can register yourself without asking for intervening help.

Return to top

What do I do if I have a study abroad course or transfer course that needs to be evaluated?

Note: This does not include graduate courses , English 1301 and 1302, or Technical Communication courses.

When you send a transcript from another institution to Texas Tech, it is translated into Texas Tech equivalents by the Transfer Evaluation office. If you want to have the English or Philosophy Depts review one or more course(s) after Transfer Evaluation has done their work, the procedure below is what you follow. This is also the procedure to follow for pre-approval of study abroad courses. English and Philosophy do not evaluate courses that fall into other subject areas. Note, however, that if you are a prospective student and you wish to have your entire transcript evaluated prior to your arrival at Texas Tech, you may submit your information online.

As a non-teaching staff member, I do not do the evaluations myself. I do, however, facilitate this process so you begin with me. The process is the same for a course already taken or for the pre-approval of courses to be taken in a study abroad program.

Step One: You may drop in or make an appointment . Typically, we need at least a course description, better yet is the syllabus. Sometimes, but rarely, we can work with just the title. I will also ask you questions about your expectations of/hopes for the use of the course as well as ways to contact you once I've gotten the evaluation.

Study abroad: There is a form that Study Abroad needs me to fill in. You might bring that along, especially if you are an English or Philosophy major since I need to sign it signifying that you are “in good standing” with the University. Also, if we've evaluated the course before and recently, I may be able to make this into a one-step process and do it all at one time.

Course descriptions for most coursework need to be from the catalog that was in effect when you took the course. Catalogs are accessible in a variety of ways.

1)You may still have your copy. Be careful though. It may not be the year for which you need it.

2)The department in that institution may have their own archive.

3)The institution certainly will have an archive somewhere. It may be that their library is archiving it for them. It may be on microfiche.

Study abroad course descriptions are usually from the materials provided to you by the Study Abroad office or from websites maintained by the various programs themselves.

Syllabi must be from that exact course (exact teacher and exact semester in which it was taken). The syllabus for a course taken at another U.S. institution may be obtained in a variety of ways:

1)You may still have it.

2)You may be able to get it from the teacher or from the teacher's website.

3)You may contact the department of that institution for a copy. Departments are required to keep copies of syllabi, but you don't want to wait too long before you try and acquire a copy from them. Eventually they run out of room, box them up, and store them in some dusty, out-of-the-way place that's hard to access. So when you ask for it, you may get the run-around.

Study abroad syllabi for pre-approval of courses can often be obtained with the help of the study abroad counselors if it isn't available via the web. Once you have taken the course bring back the syllabus the teacher gave you so we can look at it again. This time, however, give it to your study abroad counselor who will send it to us once the transcript has arrived.

U.S. courses are typically fairly easy to understand, because most use a standard labeling system with letters signifying the subject and three or four digit numbers identifying level (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) and perhaps, the credit hours to be earned. However, some U.S. institutions and many study abroad programs use different systems so be on the look-out for this and inquire, if need be, as to information that can help us figure out the level of the course.

Step Two: I will take the course to the appropriate person in the department. Although I usually have a quick turn-around, there are times when there is a delay if the person is away from the office or particularly busy, or worse, loses the form on his/her desk. This is the step when you will want to schedule into your planner something like “Check with English/Philosophy advisor re: course evaluation.” Then contact me so I can follow-up.

Step Three: When I have the evaluation and am ready to report to you, I will contact you. At that point I will tell you the decision and what will result if any changes are to be made in the initial evaluation.

Study abroad forms are filled in at this point. The English and Philosophy Depts always fill in the column that implies a tentative decision. We want to re-evaluate the course with the syllabus you actually used and some of the coursework you completed so you actually have a Step Four, although this has typically been done for you by Study Abroad once you have returned, given them your materials, and the transcript has been received from the other institution. Sometimes a course judged to be one thing will be upon re-evaluation discovered to be something entirely different. For example, a course labeled as cross-listed in both English and Theatre may have been evaluated as an English course when we read the catalog description, but may change to a Theatre course once the syllabus and course materials are reviewed.

Frequently asked questions:

How do I find out what will transfer to Tech in the future?

You may submit your information online to the Transfer Evaluation Office or go here for information on how to use the Transfer Evaluation tables yourself. This will work only if the Transfer Evaluation Office has a table created for that institution and has reviewed the courses(s) in the past.

Return to top

I'm a returning student to TTU. What is my next step?

Yeah! We'll be glad to have you back!

  1. First, you need to be readmitted. Follow the directions, pay the fee, note the date you submitted the form, and if nothing happens within a week, check with the Registrar's office (806-742-3661, press zero once the recording begins).
  2. If you have attended another institution and have hours that you need to transfer in, have that other institution send a transcript of your work to the Registrar's office at Texas Tech (PO Box 45015, Texas Tech University, Lubbock TX 79409-5015) or get them to give you an official copy in a sealed envelope and hand deliver it to the Registrar's office in West Hall. The same goes if you took a CLEP test elsewhere. Get those scores sent to the Registrar's office.
  3. Once you have been readmitted check on your eligible registration date. Returning students have always registered on the day after the last current freshmen students register, so after all the current students have had an opportunity to register. If you have additional questions about your date, or you believe it to be wrong, call the Registrar's office (806-742-3661, press zero after the recording begins).
  4. If you still have all of the worksheets I've given you and they don't need to be updated, that's wonderful! Pat yourself on the back and realize you are an unusual and remarkable person! Otherwise make an appointment with me. We will go over your remaining requirements, make a pencil plan of those remaining requirements, if need be, and fill in a degree plan if you have 60 or more hours completed.

Return to top

Where can I update my mailing address, email address, and directory profile?

To update your personal information, login to Raiderlink, and click on “My Personal Information” in the top right hand corner. From there, you can update your address, email, emergency contact, name, etc.

Return to top

What are my privacy rights? What is a FERPA form? When do I fill one out, and where do I turn it in?

What is FERPA? FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, is a federal law that pertains to the release of and access to educational records. The law, also known as the Buckley Amendment, applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the US Department of Education. Go to www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco to learn more.

To which information does FERPA apply? FERPA applies to personally identifiable information in educational records. This includes items such as the student's name, names of family members, addresses, personal identifiers such as social security numbers, and personal characteristics or other information that make the student's identity easily traceable.

What are educational records? Educational records are all records that contain information directly related to a student and are maintained by an educational agency or institution, or by a party acting on its behalf. A record means any information recorded in any way, including handwriting, print, tape, film, microfilm, microfiche, and digital images.

Educational records do not include the following:

  • Sole possession records -- records kept in the sole possession of the maker which are used only as a personal memory aid and are not accessible or reviewed by any other person except a temporary substitute for the maker of the record);
  • Medical or psychological treatment records that include those maintained by physicians, psychiatrists, and psychologists;
  • Employment records, provided that employment is not contingent upon being a student;
  • Law enforcement records; and
  • Records collected about an individual after that person is no longer a student at TTU.

What are a student's rights under FERPA? Under FERPA, a student has a right to

  • Inspect and review his or her educational records;
  • Request to amend his or her educational records;
  • Have some control over the disclosure of information from his or her educational records.

The university notifies students annually of their FERPA rights in the Student Handbook. If students believe that such rights have been violated, they may register a complaint with the TTU Office of the Registrar, Room 103 West Hall  or contact the Family Policy Compliance Office at the Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave SW, Washington DC 2002-4605. Additional information is available at www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco.

Do students have a right to see and change their educational records? Upon written request, the university shall provide a student access to his or her educational records except for financial records of the student's parents or guardian; and confidential letters of recommendation where the student has signed a waiver of right of access. If the records contain information on more than one student, the requesting student may inspect, review, or be informed on only the specific information about his or her own records. Educational records covered by FERPA normally will be made available within forty-five days of the request. The contents of a student's educational records may be challenged by the student on the grounds that they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of the student by submitting a written statement to the custodian of records (the Registrar).

Is there some way that I can block my information? A currently-enrolled student may restrict access to their directory information, or may remove their information from public directories, through the MyTech (Raiderlink) system during the first twelve class days of any semester, or the first four class days of any summer term. (Restricted information remains so until revoked by the student.)

What is directory information? FERPA identifies certain information, called directory information, that may be disclosed without the student's permission. The university has designated the following information as directory information:

  • Student name
  • Major field of study
  • Classification
  • Degrees, awards, and honors received
  • Specific enrollment status:
    • Full-time, Part-time, half-time
    • Undergraduate, Graduate, Law
  • Local and Permanent address
  • Place of birth
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Dates of attendance
  • Previous institutions attended
  • Height/Weight (if a member of an athletic team)

Who has access to student educational records? According to FERPA, nondirectory information may not be released without prior written consent from the student. Exceptions are listed in the Student Handbook; they include access by appropriate university administrators, faculty members, or staff members who require access to educational records in order to perform their legitimate educational duties; officials of other schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll; and in connection with a student's application for, or receipt of, financial aid.

What is legitimate educational interest? Legitimate educational interest is access to educational records by appropriate University administrators, faculty members, staff members, appropriate administrators or staff members of the university alumni association, or contractors acting on behalf of the University, who require such access in order to perform their legitimate educational and business duties, when such records are needed in furtherance of the educational or business purposes of the student or University.

Whom should I contact with questions or concerns? Direct general questions to the Office of the Registrar, Ombudsman, or Dean of Students office as appropriate. Send comments or suggestions to the registrar's office.

How can I grant access to a third party to my educational records?  FERPA makes provision for inspection, review and amendment of educational records by the student and requires, in most instances, prior consent from the student for disclosure of such records to third parties. The consent must be in writing, signed, and dated by the student and must specify records to be released, the reason for the release, and the names of the parties to whom such records will be released. The act applies to all persons formerly and currently enrolled at an educational institution.  No exclusion is made for non-U.S. citizen students. However, the act does not apply to a person who has applied for admission, but who never actually enrolled in or attended the institution, and deceased persons. 

The FERPA form is available for student completion. If you would like someone other than yourself to have access to your education information, please complete the FERPA form.

Note: Only complete the FERPA formif you are giving someone permission to access your academic information.
Upon completion of the form, you will need to complete one of the following options:

Option 1 - Drop Off

Bring the completed FERPA form to the Office of the Registrar, West Hall, room 103.

Option 2 - Mail To

Office of the Registrar
Texas Tech University
Box 45015
Lubbock, TX 79409

Option 3 - Fax To

Fax form to: (806) 742 0355

Important! If you would like to take access away from the person listed on the FERPA form, you will need to visit West Hall, room 103, to rescind education information access.

Return to top

What are the scholarship opportunities? Do I qualify for financial aid? Do I qualify for $1000 tuition rebate?

Scholarships and Awards

The English and Philosophy Depts both have scholarships which they award to students. Each department operates independently of the other. The Texas Tech scholarship process is now centralized and one application is all you need for many of the available funds. Colleges also offer monies so check the website for the college(s) you are in. Go to www.ttu.edu, click on Academics, then on College and Schools, then on the appropriate college.

Helpful hints for a successful scholarship or award application include:

  • Proofread! After you have completed the form, go back over it looking for errors or have someone help you with this. They did invent the spellchecker for a reason! Some evaluators simply toss out applications when they find errors.
  • Research deadlines and make sure ALL of your paperwork is submitted on time. You may need letters of reference and the people you request letters from may forget. Figure out some tactful way to follow up to make sure the letter was submitted to the proper location.
  • Letters of recommendation should be solicited from people who know you AND your work. Your academic advisor may or may not be appropriate. The English Department decided when I first took this job that it was not appropriate for me to write such letters because I would not have the knowledge that your classroom teachers would have so I don't do them for anybody.

The Financial Aid office is the appropriate place to go for other aspects of paying for school.

Emergency Fund

Sometimes students need resources beyond what the Financial Aid office can provide. I've had students who ran out of money and were hungry. Some have sold their books back to the bookstore for money to eat or pay bills. Others have just broken down in despair. I don't want you to be stuck in such straits. Please contact a staff person at Texas Tech and ask for help in finding resources. Each of us has different knowledge so if one person can't help, keep going. Here's some offices you can try:

Return to top