Studying abroad is a life changing experience and financial aid is available to assist you with the program costs involved in approved study abroad programs. Since the study abroad experience should be carefully planned, students should follow the steps below to receive funding for the program:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. Listing Texas Tech’s federal school code (003644) on the application applies for all federal and state aid programs. The priority deadline for financial aid is March 1 each year but the application can be submitted any time during the academic year.
- For dependent students, both the student and parent need a pin number to electronically sign the FAFSA.
- Students may meet with Nikki Nordell, West Hall Rm. 301 to discuss financial aid. Law school students may contact Mark Langford at the TTU School of Law.
- All students must be enrolled in at least 6 hours per term to receive financial aid. Law students must be enrolled in at least 4 hours in summer to receive financial aid.
- If the aid awarded does not cover program costs, students should consider applying for additional loan funding. Options are listed on the Student Financial Aid and Scholarship website at www.financialaid.ttu.edu.
- The Budget Planning Worksheet will help in comparing program costs and determining available resources.
- Students receiving merit/presedential scholarships should check with the Scholarship Office as some scholarships cannot be used for studying abroad. The TTU Scholarship application deadline is February 1 for the following year.
- Students should check with the Study Abroad Office and the program provider, if applicable, for study abroad scholarships. These application deadlines can be found on their respective websites.
- Since most Federal Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Plus, and Private loans are disbursed via an Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) process to Texas Tech University, all study abroad students are required to have their refund setup through direct deposit with Student Business Services. This is done through MyTech at www.raiderlink.ttu.edu under the My Direct Deposit link.
- Students can view the financial aid awards online by logging on through Raiderlink, www.raiderlink.ttu.edu and clicking on Financial Aid Information. Make sure to select the correct aid year. Some of the financial aid awards will need to be accepted and additional information completed before funds will be disbursed.
- Students receiving federal financial aid should be aware that there are some restrictions on the number of semesters, or course credits, for study abroad that can be counted toward a degree program.