Texas Tech University

Studying Abroad as a Non-U.S. Citizen

The Study Abroad team encourages all students to consider building study abroad into their degree plan at Texas Tech University. We welcome non-U.S. citizens who meet TTU Study Abroad eligibility requirements to participate in our programs. As a non-U.S. citizen, you may have some specific concerns regarding studying abroad. The Study Abroad team believes these concerns should be addressed early and should not prevent you from studying abroad if it is your desire to do so.

It is important for non-U.S. citizens to verify whether participating on a study abroad program will affect their U.S. student visa status, U.S. immigration status, or eligibility to re-enter the U.S. upon return. Verifying this information can take some time, so it is critical that non-U.S. citizens plan early – at least 9 months to one year prior to their expected study abroad start date – in order to make sure that all questions are answered accurately. Please follow these guidelines to ensure that you better understand your ability to study abroad with Texas Tech:

  • Schedule an appointment with a Study Abroad Counselor and share the following information with them:
    • Your current citizenship status and country of origin
    • Your desired study abroad destination
    • The duration of your preferred study abroad program and the classes you want to take
  • Schedule an appointment with your International Students and Scholar Services Office (ISSS) Counselor and complete the following steps:
    • Verify whether studying abroad will affect your U.S. visa/immigration status
    • Confirm all requirements, restrictions, and/or deadlines
    • Ensure that you know about all required documentation you will need to bring with you while studying abroad
    • Schedule an appointment with your ISSS Counselor
    • Please note that if you are a current Permanent Resident, Texas Tech University is legally unable to advise you and we encourage you to seek out an immigration attorney. Additional resources can be found at the USCIS website.
  • Be sure to maintain any minimum requirements while studying abroad (for example, undergraduate students must take the equivalent of 12 U.S. credits to be considered a full-time student)
  • Research student visa requirements and deadlines for the host country of your study abroad program as well other countries you plan to visit
    • Some countries require you to renew your U.S. visa before you can obtain their student visa
    • Renewing your U.S. visa may require returning to your home country either before or after your study abroad program