Texas Tech University

Make an Appointment with your ISSS Counselor!


Below is a list of the various appointment types available to our students and scholars. Please note that same-day appointments are not possible. The soonest you can see a counselor is the day after the appointment is made. As a courtesy to other students please do not make more than one appointment at a time.


F-1 Students

Travel Consultation

You do need a travel signature on your I-20 to re-enter the US.   However, you do not need an appointment for this unless you would like to discuss other matters with your counselor. You just need to email your counselor and they can send you an electronic I-20 with a travel signature via email.  Your counselor's travel signature is valid for re-entry to the US for 1 year from the date of their signature.

Note: More information on travel can be found here.

Travel Consultation Appointment

Employment Consultation

Ready to apply for OPT or CPT? Questions about other employment issues?

Note: Requesting social security letters does not require an appointment. See Social Security for more information. For information about OPT see OPT Students. For information about CPT see CPT Students.

Employment Consultation Appointment

Academic Consultation

Did you change your major? Do you need a program extension? Going straight from one program level to another?

Academic Consultation Appointment

Personal Consultation

Need to discuss something personal?

Note: For serious personal issues, we strongly encourage students to see a counselor at the Student Counseling Center. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need to speak with someone immediately, call the Texas Tech Crisis HelpLine at 806-742-5555.

Personal Consultation Appointment

Financial Consultation

Questions about financial issues?

Note: Please keep in mind that the ISSS office provides very little direct funding to students. We will do our best to help, but our resources are limited. For emergency grant information please contact Beth Mora.

Financial Consultation Appointment

Family Immigration Consultation

If you need help with an immigration-related family matter please choose this appointment type.

Note: If you have an F-2 spouse who would like to do a change of status to F-1 to attend Texas Tech, the spouse should make the appointment to see his/her assigned counselor based on his/her family name.

Family Immigration Consultation Appointment

J-1 Students and Scholars

J-1 Student/Scholar Consultation

For advising related to J-1 Exchange visitor issues.

Click here to make a Student Appointment


Click here to make a Scholar appointment

H-1B and Permanent Residency

H-1B or Permanent Residency Consultation

For faculty and staff with questions about their immigration and employment status.


H-1B Appointment


Permanent Residency Appointment




We are getting reports of a scam targeting international students involving phone calls from individuals claiming to be immigration officials. If you get such a call please see your international student counselor before taking any action!

Important Reminder!

Don't forget to keep your SEVIS record updated with your current address and other personal information. You can report any changes via our website Personal Information.