Texas Tech University

How to Get a New Visa

If you have been admitted to TTU and are outside the US or if you are a current student at TTU and your visa has expired, you need to get a new visa from a U.S. consulate or embassy when you travel, You can't apply for a new visa inside the U.S. Please note that current students only need a visa for travel. Expired visas are not a problem unless you need to travel outside the US and will re-enter. Learn about the complete list of documents you need to compile for your new visa application at the U.S. government web site where you will apply. Visit www.ustraveldocs.com. This site provides links to embassy and consulates around the world.

Helpful Links:

(Please check the web site for the Embassy where you will be applying for specific requirements and information).

ISSS presentation on:

How To Get A Visa

Items for your visa application include the following:

An unexpired passport valid at least six months into the future.


Proof of financial support as reflected on the I-20 or DS-2019. This may include personal or family bank statements, affidavits of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter.


Documents to show that you were admitted to TTU (admissions letter). Only for those who are applying for their first visa as a TTU student.

TTU Graphic

A valid I-20 or DS-2019 (signed for travel, if you are a continuing student applying for a new visa)

I-20 DS2019 Images

A copy of your academic transcripts (official or unofficial). This is only for continuing students at TTU or those who attended other schools in the US prior to beginning at TTU.