Texas Tech University

J-1 Employment

Students in J-1 status may accept employment under certain circumstances. In all cases, your J-1 program sponsor must authorize your employment. If you are uncertain about your J-1 program sponsor, refer to Item 2 on your DS-2019; your J-1 program sponsor is listed there. This web page is provided for informational purposes, and it is intended for students sponsored by Texas Tech University. If you have questions or would like to determine your eligibility for J-1 employment, please contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). If you are sponsored by an outside agency, please consult with your program officer regarding employment eligibility.


IMPORTANT: J-1 students sponsored by the TTU must obtain a letter of authorization from the ISSS office for each specific on-campus job, prior to beginning work. Students with outside J sponsorship must contact their program sponsor to obtain this letter.

As a student in J-1 status, you may work at Texas Tech University up to 20 hours per week during the academic year, and full-time during school vacation periods. This includes any job for which Texas Tech University will pay you, either on an hourly basis or as a part of a graduate assistant-ship. Please note that your on-campus employment must stop once you complete your studies.

For information about on-campus employment, click on-campus employment.

For information about academic training, click academic training.