Texas Tech University

F-1 Employment

"Employment" is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room and board, or other significant benefits. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 regulations. Note that the off-campus employment opportunities generally require you to have completed one academic year (three quarters) to be eligible to apply for authorization. Consult an ISSS adviser with any questions related to F-1 status and employment. See information regarding "volunteer work" on the TTU campus below.

Note: Only after you are offered employment will you be eligible to apply for a social security number. For more information regarding getting a social security card, go to the

ISSS Social Security Information Page


On-Campus Employment

OFF-Campus Employment

Optional Practical Training OPT


OPT STEM Extension


Curricular Practical Training


Volunteer Work on the TTU Campus - Students cannot do volunteer work on the TTU campus without permission from the Human Resource office. The department needs to make this request to HR, not the student. The pertinent policies, procedure and links to the forms for the department can be found on the HR page

Note: STEM OPT employment cannot be volunteer.  Volunteer work during STEM OPT is not considered a valid "employer-employee relationship".