Texas Tech University

F-1 & J-1 Student Travel

Going home for the summer or planning a trip for spring break? New to TTU and wanting to learn about applying for your first F-1 or J-1 visa? On this page, you'll find links to information about entering the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status. We want your travels to be as safe and trouble-free as possible.

Travel Documents

Basic Processes

Documents to Carry

What to bring when you travel abroad and return to the US. To view details click student travel documents.

Getting a Re-entry Travel Signature on your I-20 or DS2019

Before current students depart, you will need to get a travel signature on your document in order to re-enter the US. To view details, click travel signature documents.

How to Get a New Visa

When your visa has expired or when you are entering the US for the first time, you will need to visit a US Embassy or Consular office to get a visa entry stamp in your passport. To view details, click how to get a new Visa.

Special Processes

Travel to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean

Things that you need to know about traveling to Mexico Canada and adjacent islands. You can travel with and expired visa, under particular circumstances. To view details, go to our Mexico and Canada travel page.

Inviting Friends and Family

For information about inviting friends and family that would like to visit you in the US (excluding immediate family members such as children and spouse), please read the following page on:

Information about inviting friends and family