Receive Medical Clearance
After acceptance, all study abroad students must be medically recommended for travel. Texas Tech University Student Health Services has partnered with the Study Abroad Office to make this process as convenient as possible.
All students are required to complete a health history questionnaire and provide a complete copy of immunization records. Students will have access to the health history questionnaire via the online TTU study abroad application following acceptance. Immunization records are also to be uploaded to the online TTU application. After completion of these two steps:
- A licensed travel nurse will review the responses and determine if the student would benefit from a travel consultation with a nurse or medical provider. Due to heightened risks, many countries require an educational travel consultation with a nurse or medical provider from Student Health regardless of health considerations.
- Once the health history questionnaire has been reviewed, students who need a travel health appointment will be contacted via email to schedule the appointment with a Student Health nurse or medical provider.
- Students who do not need an appointment will receive an email stating their health history questionnaire has been reviewed and they are recommended for travel.
Submission Deadlines for Medical Clearance Forms
|When are you going abroad?||Medical Clearance Forms Completion Deadlines|
|Intersession, Spring, Spring Break, Calendar Year||November 1|
|Maymester, Summer I, Summer II, Summer||April 1|
|Fall, Fall Break, Academic Year||April 1|
Do I Need An In-Person Appointment?
Students traveling to a country listed in Chart A usually do not require in-person physicals; however, the staff at Student Health Services may request that you complete a physical after reviewing your questionnaire. In this case, Student Health will contact you for an appointment and explanation of services.
|Countries Which Do Not Require In-Person Physicals|
|South Korea||Spain||Sweden||Switzerland||United Kingdom|
Students going to a country listed in Chart B are required to complete a physical.
|Countries Which Do Require In-Person Physicals|
|Puerto Rico||Qatar||Russia||Singapore||South Africa|
|Sri Lanka||Taiwan||Tanzania||Thailand||Turks & Caicos|
|United Arab Emirates||Vietnam||Zimbabwe|
Students should be aware that students may not be recommended for travel by Student Health Services due to unforeseen medical conditions. Please understand we have our student's best interest in mind.
- If you have a medical clearance form from another organization (i.e., ISA, API, etc.), please deliver it to Student Health (or to your in-person physical appointment).
- If you need a copy of the completed medical clearance forms, notify Student Health prior to coming to the clinic.
- Please have your forms completed prior to your appointment.
- Monitor your email and phone for communications from Student Health. This will help avoid delays in your medical clearance.
Student Health Contact Information
Raylene Sexton, Travel Health Case Manager
Students may schedule physical appointments with a personal provider (either in Lubbock or at home during breaks) instead of Student Health Services; however, documentation of medical clearance must be received by the Texas Tech Study Abroad Office - directly from your personal provider, either by fax (806.742.1286) or mail (Study Abroad Office, 601 Indiana Ave. MS5004, Lubbock, TX 79409) - before the deadline.
Complete the health history questionnaire within your online TTU application and bring this to your appointment with a personal provider.
Clinic in Lubbock that will do travel physicals:Express Care Clinic
Located in the Mall
Cost begins at $35 per visit
Phone Number: (806) 761-0450
Hours: Monday – Saturday 9:00 am to 8:00 pm
Sunday 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm Documentation of medical clearance must be received by the Texas Tech Study Abroad Office - directly from the Express Care Clinic, either by fax (806.742.1286) or mail (Study Abroad Office, 601 Indiana Ave. MS5004, Lubbock, TX 79409) - before the deadline.
Complete the health history questionnaire within your online TTU application and bring this to your appointment with the Express Care Clinic.
Be Prepared: Other Helpful Tips
- Check out the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website for the most up-to-date information about traveling abroad and recommendations for your host country.
- Make a copy of your medical clearance forms for your records.