Study Abroad Insurance
Students participating study abroad programs at Texas Tech will automatically be covered for health, accident, emergency evacuation, and repatriation of remains. Insurance coverage depends on the program location and is mandatory, even if students are covered by another policy.
TTU strongly urges that students elect to purchase Cancel and Interruption For Any Reason (CFAR/IFAR) insurance. There are several CFAR/IFAR options to choose from, but TTU has vetted a policy through Travel Insured International.
- Mandatory Insurance for programs hosted by the TTU Center in Sevilla, Spain
- Mandatory Insurance for programs hosted in all other locations
- Coverage Before/After Your Study Abroad Program
- CFAR/IFAR insurance coverage vetted by TTU: Travel Insured International
Students participating on a program hosted by the TTU Center in Sevilla, Spain, will receive health and accident insurance coverage from Sanitas. Evacuation and repatriation of remains coverage is provided by STA Travel / ISIC. The cost of the insurance coverage is included in the TTU Center program fees.
Students do not need to enroll in the Sanitas policy, as this will be done by the TTU Center staff members. Students are responsible for obtaining an ISIC card with the corresponding insurance coverage.
Questions about the insurance policies for programs hosted by the TTU Center in Sevilla, Spain, should be directed to the Sevilla Center Coordinator.
For all other programs, insurance coverage is provided under a group policy contracted by the Texas Tech University System. For details of the coverage provided, please see the Texas Tech University Program Summary Document. The insurance policy is provided by OnCall International. The policy has no deductible, no co-pay, and no network. Students can learn more about the coverage by watching a short YouTube clip.
Students will be enrolled in the OnCall International insurance policy by the TTU Study Abroad Office and will be billed for the policy through Student Business Services. The invoice amount is calculated using the number of days in the program and coverage costs $2.57 per day.
For additional information, log into OnCall International's Searchlight Portal.
- Searchlight Group ID: 100098CPPD18
Questions about the OnCall International insurance policy can also be directed to your Study Abroad Counselor/Program Manager or OnCall International.
- Customer Service - Benefits Questions: 855-878-9590, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you need medical, security, or travel assistance, regardless of the nature or severity
of your situation, contact OnCall 24 hours a day:
- +1-603-328-1325: Call collect from anywhere in the world
- 1-855-878-9589: Call toll free from the US or Canada
- 603-945-0103: Text-only number
- Claims: email@example.com
TTU recommends that students who plan to travel before or after their study abroad program have insurance coverage for the additional, personal travel. Students who wish to travel before or after their program must purchase additional coverage separately.
TTU strongly urges that all students elect to purchase Cancel and Interruption For Any Reason (CFAR/IFAR) insurance for domestic or international travel. CFAR/IFAR insurance can help protect your investment in your study abroad program in the event the program is cancelled before departing or interrupted during the program for any reason including the threat or fear of COVID-19.
TTU's preferred provider for CFAR/IFAR insurance is Travel Insured International. You can view Travel Insured International's offerings on TTU's custom hyperlink. The information below is specific to the CFAR/IFAR insurance option listed on TTU's custom hyperlink. TTU has vetted the option above through our broker, Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., as a comprehensive solution that provides 75% reimbursement for CFAR/IFAR claims.
CFAR/IFAR Insurance Will Cover:
- A percentage of your program fees, housing, and flights if your program is canceled or you withdraw from the program for any reason if these expenses are non-refundable.
CFAR/IFAR Insurance Will Not Cover:
- Any program fees, housing, or flights that are refunded through your program, housing, or airline as a result of a trip interruption or cancellation.
*Note the difference in refundable versus non-refundable fees and expenses.
As you consider purchasing CFAR/IFAR insurance, make sure you know the following:
- What is and is not covered – specifically in relation to COVID-19 and pandemics since not all CFAR/IFAR insurance policies cover COVID-19 or pandemic diseases
- Your airline's flight cancellation refund policy
- Your program's cancellation and refund policies
- The payment terms for all elements of your study abroad program including items such as your housing contract, the cost of housing, and when deposits and expenses are owed for your housing
Ready to Enroll in CFAR/IFAR Insurance?
For the option offered through Travel Insured International, travelers must enroll in CFAR/IFAR insurance within 21 days of receiving a non-refundable bill for a coverable expense. Typically, the earliest coverable expense will be the non-refundable program deposit, which is charged by TTU or a third party program provider when a traveler commits to a specific program and the trip becomes non-refundable.
*If you have questions about non-refundable expenses and payment deadlines, please contact your Study Abroad Counselor/Program Manager, or your program provider.
- CFAR/IFAR Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Travel Insured International Customer Service using the TTU custom hyperlink
Insurance-related questions can be directed to Whitney Longnecker, Director of Study Abroad, at firstname.lastname@example.org.