Study Abroad Insurance
Students participating study abroad programs at Texas Tech will automatically be covered for health, accident, emergency evacuation, and repatriation of remains. Insurance coverage depends on the program location and is mandatory, even if students are covered by another policy.
Students may elect to purchase Cancel and Interruption For Any Reason (CFAR/IFAR) insurance. There are several CFAR/IFAR options to choose from, and TTU has a policy through InsureMyTrip.com.
- Mandatory insurance for all programs
- Mandatory insurance for programs hosted by the TTU Center in Sevilla, Spain
- Coverage before/after your study abroad program
- CFAR/IFAR insurance coverage: InsureMyTrip.com
Regardless of all other insurance coverage provided or available, all students receive insurance coverage under a group policy contracted by the Texas Tech University System. Texas Tech University System partners with OnCall International to provide study abroad students and program leaders emergency and non-emergency services and benefits while traveling internationally. The program will provide services ranging from pre-trip planning, to telephone advice, to full-scale medical and security evacuations.
Key Features of the OnCall Coverage:
- Medical, travel, and security assistance including insured evacuation services and international medical expenses coverage
- Coordination of emergent and non-emergent medical care
- Coordination of travel arrangements for you or a person you designate for certain emergency circumstances such as your hospitalization abroad
- Travel monitoring app and critical event intelligence alerts (powered by OnSolve)
The policy has no deductible, no co-pay, and no network. Students and program leaders can learn more about the coverage by watching a short YouTube clip.
Students will be enrolled in the OnCall International insurance policy by the TTU Study Abroad Office and will be billed for the policy through Student Business Services. The invoice amount is calculated using the number of days in the program and coverage costs $2.57 per day.
For additional information, check out OnCall's Traveler Resource Hub.
- Plan ID and Summary (Traveler insurance card)
Questions about the OnCall insurance policy should be directed to OnCall.
Students participating on a program hosted by the TTU Center in Sevilla, Spain, will receive health and accident insurance coverage from Sanitas. Evacuation and repatriation of remains coverage is provided by OnCall International. The cost of the insurance coverage is included in the program fees. Students do not need to enroll in the either insurance policy, as this will be done by the TTU Center staff members.
Students may also purchase an ISIC card, which offers additional insurance coverage and discounts on local attractions. Purchase on an ISIC card is optional.
Questions about the insurance policies for programs hosted by the TTU Center in Sevilla, Spain, should be directed to the Administrator of the TTU Center in Sevilla.
TTU recommends that students who plan to travel before or after their study abroad program have insurance coverage for the additional, personal travel. Students who wish to travel before or after their program must purchase additional coverage separately.
Should students wish to select coverage for which OnCall in the global assistance provider, coverage is available through WorldTrips Atlas Travel Insurance. There is no discount available and this policy is not maintained or reviewed by Texas Tech University System. Questions about coverage, pricing and more for this insurance coverage option should be directed to WorldTrips.
Students may elect to purchase Cancel and Interruption For Any Reason (CFAR/IFAR) insurance for domestic or international travel as a way to protect your investment.
Texas Tech University System is pleased to provide a way to improve travel opportunities for students, faculty, and staff traveling abroad. TTU has partnered with InsureMyTrip.com for you to be able to purchase a travel protection plan, which includes travel insurance coverages for trip cancellations and interruptions due to covered reasons with the option to add Cancel for Any Reason coverage to help protect the financial investment of academic travel. This plan is called the Academic Explorer plan and does not duplicate nor replace the OnCall travel plan.
As you consider purchasing CFAR/IFAR insurance coverage, make sure you know the following:
- What is and is not covered – specifically in relation to COVID-19 and pandemics since not all CFAR/IFAR insurance policies cover COVID-19 or pandemic diseases
- Your airline's flight cancellation refund policy
- Your program's cancellation and refund policies
- The payment terms for all elements of your study abroad program including items such as your housing contract, the cost of housing, and when deposits and expenses are owed for your housing