High Financial Need
The Study Abroad team encourages all students to build study abroad into their TTU degree plan. We welcome students of all socioeconomic statuses who meet TTU Study Abroad eligibility requirements to participate in our programs. Many students mistakenly believe that study abroad is financially out of reach. The key is to plan early and, as you plan, consider how you will balance your goals for studying abroad with the realities of your financial situation.
Studying abroad is possible no matter your socioeconomic status! No need to take it from us – read these student testimonials!
"Perhaps my biggest concern when going through the study abroad process was whether or not I would be able to afford my desired program. I would recommend other students dedicate as much time as possible to finding and applying to as many scholarships as possible. Many scholarship prompts ask the same or similar questions, so essays can be reused for multiple scholarships with some editing and tailoring to each scholarship done. By combining scholarships I already had from Tech and applying to a multitude of external scholarships, both general and study abroad specific, I was able to attend the program I desired."
— Jasmine Workman, Dublin, Ireland, Spring 2018
“To anyone who is thinking about studying abroad... Anything is possible if you are willing to put in the effort! There are a plethora of scholarships available, BUT they won't come to you. It was stressful managing school, work, and a social life while applying to scholarships... Some nights I just wanted to give up, but studying abroad is something I wanted to do and had to finance on my own, so I pushed through it. A lot of people, from friends to professors, read my essays and helped revise them. Although I did not receive all of the scholarships I applied to, I received enough to cover my whole semester! Because of my hard work, I was able to study abroad without having to worry about money. Never let money discourage you from doing what you want to do. Studying abroad is an investment in yourself!”
— Adriel Alvarez, Czech Republic, Spring 2016
“As a self-paid college student, studying abroad always seemed like a distant dream that would only occur with a miracle. Through hard work, I was able to make money going abroad with all of the scholarship/financial aid I received. The Study Abroad Competitive Scholarship, Phi Kappa Phi Honors Scholarship, Honors College Scholarship, and an Economics Scholarship helped finance my trips abroad. With the tremendous guidance of Financial Aid, my dreams of studying abroad (twice!) came true. My advice to students aiming to studying abroad is to take advantage of every scholarship opportunity, even when the odds of winning are low. The money is available, and organizations are itching to help you get abroad.”
— Ashley Hogan, Zimbabwe,
Maymester 2014 & Turks and Caicos Islands, Spring 2015
Things to Consider
Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss the best time for you to study abroad.
Include your family in the planning process so they understand how study abroad can benefit your goals and interests. Encourage your family to review the Parents, Guardians & Mentors section of the TTU Study Abroad website for more information.
Talk to your TTU Study Abroad Counselor about which program(s) would best meet your needs.
Check out low-cost programs.
Learn about your financing options and how to utilize financial aid and scholarships for study abroad.
Consider ways to make your international experience even more impactful. Think about incorporating an international internship, research project or service-learning into your international program. These unique opportunities will help you develop important contacts and skills for your future career.
Take ownership of the process! We understand the study abroad planning process will include many steps. Set yourself up for success by planning ahead. Be sure to keep track of application deadlines, funding opportunities, and program requirements.
How TTU Study Abroad Can Assist
To help you meet your study abroad goals, our staff are committed to do the following:
- Invite all eligible study abroad students to apply for the TTU Study Abroad Competitive Scholarship.
- Share resources and information about other scholarships, how to afford a study abroad experience, and low-cost programs.
- Work closely with the Financial Aid Office and the National & International Scholarships & Fellowships Office regarding the application of financial aid to study abroad as well as opportunities for students to obtain loan and grant money.
- Offer workshops like the Funding Your Study Abroad Experience Workshop and Gilman Scholarship Workshop.
- Include discussion in advising appointments and pre-departure orientation about financial need and budgeting carefully for a study abroad experience.
- Assist students in understanding program costs and fees, currency and foreign exchange rates, and cost of living differences between the host country and the U.S.
- Partner with universities and study abroad programs that are also committed to providing support to students with high financial need by offering transparency with regard to program costs, low application fees, and opportunities to set up payment plans.
Check out these additional articles:
Speak with a Study Abroad Counselor
Do you or your family have any concerns related to study abroad? Your Study Abroad Counselor can assist with your questions, like:
- What opportunities and challenges have other high financial need students faced as they prepare to travel abroad?
- Can I be connected with students and alumni with similar identities as me?
- What on-campus support and resources will I have access to overseas?
- How will study abroad help me reach my academic, personal and professional goals?
- Will my TTU financial aid and scholarships count towards my study abroad program?
- What advice do you have for high financial need students students who are thinking about study abroad?
- What impact can going abroad have on my future career path?
Address601 Indiana Avenue, Lubbock, TX 79409