Texas Tech University

Study Abroad for Students Using Veterans Benefits


Studying abroad is about more than just travel. By participating in international education, U.S. Military Veterans and ROTC Cadets have a lot to gain academically, professionally, and personally. Taking classes on an international campus allows students to earn credit toward their TTU degrees while meeting renowned faculty across disciplines. For students interested in less traditional experiences, internships, field-specific research projects, and service-learning programs offer opportunities for vets and cadets to experience the world in new ways outside of military service. Continue building your already impressive resume with more examples of adaptability, critical thinking skills, and the desire to build relationships within an increasingly global society.


Students who wish to increase their marketability post-graduation participate in study abroad. As a Veteran or Cadet, you already bring unique assets to international education, including but not limited to:
• Leadership experience (often under pressure)
• Independence and maturity
• Proven work ethic
• Previous international experience

Any TTU student with a 2.5 GPA (2.75 required for Rawls College of Business students) can participate, and Vets in particular are a diverse, well-funded population of study abroad students.
• 62% first generation students
• 85% non-traditional ages (24+)
• 73% men
• Most popular degrees: health science, engineering, business, public service


Federal Educational Benefits Info

Students eligible for Federal Educational Benefits may contact the Military & Veterans Program department to access this federal funding. Students must be enrolled in courses that apply to their degree (can be major/minor courses or courses that complete core requirements), the study abroad program must have TTU approval and the program at the 'host' school must be approved by VA. The amount of funding depends on whether study abroad is required by a student's academic department.
o If study abroad is required (e.g., TTU Engineering), eligible tuition and fees are paid regardless of program choice
o If study abroad is not required, eligible tuition and fees are paid, but student pays administrative fees, airfare, etc. (note: federal stipends can offset these costs). VA determines ultimate approval of benefit payments to students.

VA will not pay for fees which include:
• Meals
• Travel
• Lodging
• Books and supplies (only certain chapters are eligible)

Post 9/11 GI Bill Chapter 33 Factsheet

Hazlewood Benefits Info

Students eligible for the State of Texas' Hazlewood Act may use this benefit for study abroad courses registered through Texas Tech University. Students must be enrolled in courses that apply to their degree. Tuition and fees exempted by Hazlewood are waived (no money is exchanged).

Hazlewood will not cover:
• student services fee
• deposits
• study abroad fees
• travel fees
• meal fees
• Incidentals or any fees added to tuition for study abroad
• Hazlewood will not exempt tuition and fees associated with Affiliate Programs

ROTC Benefit Info

Cadets have access to unique international programs such as Project Global Officer, which is designed by the U.S. Department of Defense. Project GO is committed to providing support and scholarships to ROTC students for critical languages study abroad. Project GO programs provide full funding for:

• Tuition and fees
• Room and board
• Travel to and from the program site
• Textbooks and materials
• Health insurance
• Visa application fees
• Gym membership

The Cultural Understanding & Language Proficiency (CULP) Program is another option designed for Army Cadets and connects students with opportunities to intentionally advance cultural awareness and intensify the development of foreign language skills.


Veterans are welcome to study abroad at any point during their TTU career after completing a minimum of 2 semesters on campus. Transfer students may study abroad after completing only 1 semester on campus.

Cadets should study abroad as GMCs during the summer term after 2 semesters on campus (between freshman and sophomore year). Only Cadets whose academic department requires study abroad (e.g., TTU Engineering) have permission to participate in semester-long programs.


1. Research program(s) of interest to you by visiting www.studyabroad.ttu.edu
2. Consult with your Academic Advisor to verify course(s) apply to your degree plan
3. Schedule an appointment to meet with a Study Abroad Counselor through www.strive.ttu.edu

4.  Upload supporting documents and approval within your MVP Form through the MVP Forms Portal if planning to use federal or state veterans benefits



General Questions about Study Abroad:

TTU Study Abroad Program
Michael Q. Johnson
MVP Liaison for Study Abroad

Questions about Financial Aid and Study Abroad
TTU Financial Aid
Nikki Nordell
Study Abroad Financial Aid Advisor

Questions about your bill?
TTU Student Business Services (SBS)

Questions about your Veterans benefits

TTU Study Abroad Program www.studyabroad.ttu.edu Michael Q. Johnson
TTU Study Abroad Program
Michael Q. Johnson