Texas Tech University

TTU Prior Discharge Checklist (PSDC)

Military and Veterans Programs (MVP) wants to ensure you and your family members have a smooth transition process prior to discharge. It's never too early to begin preparations for your separation from active military service. The Department of Defense (DOD) recommends that you start your planning at least 12 months prior to separation, and 24 months prior to retirement, from active duty. The DOD's Transition Assistance Program (TAP) is a vital resource to ensure that your separation/retirement choices are truly in your, and your family's, best interests.

Contact Your Administration Section for Assistance with the Following

  • To ensure what type of Federal or State Educational Benefits you and your dependents qualify for and compare the programs.
  • To ensure family members are enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS). Family members must be enrolled in DEERS at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits.
  • To verify you qualify to use or transfer Post 9/11 benefits: The Post-9/11 GI Bill® allows service members (officer or enlisted, Active Duty or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children).
  • To obtain a COE: The Regional Processing Office will process the application and determine your eligibility and send your or your dependents a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
  • To create an va.gov account: You and your family members can create an account on Ebenefits which allows you to print out your educational Benefits i.e. Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

Prior Service Discharge Common Errors

  • Some Veterans don't verify their DD214 prior to separation for errors - Your DD214 is possibly the most important document that you will receive from the military. You cannot obtain VA benefits without presenting a DD-214.
  • Many Veterans don't ask - the Transition Assistance Program (TAMP) representative to provide educational benefits and qualifications from the state he/she plans to attend college.
  • Some Veterans don't have their administration unit to correct inaccurate Military Records - This includes your service medical records and your administrative/personnel file (including performance evaluations, service-issued licenses or certifications.
  • Many Veterans don't request copy of their Military Transcripts DD Form 2586 "Verification of Military Experience and Training".
  • Some Veterans don't attend - Veterans benefit briefings conducted by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
  • Some Veterans don't attend - Disabled Transition Assistance Program (DTAP), which is also facilitated by the VA and is designed to focus on the special needs of disabled service members.