Texas Tech University offers a variety of tutoring services across campus to help ensure academic success. Most of the services are FREE and others are available for a charge. Read more about these and other services:
SOAR ( Support Operation for Academic Retention) provides services for TTU Students as a supplement to classroom and lab instruction, enabling them to achieve academic success and develop lifelong learning skills. The programs below are offered through the SOAR department:
- The Learning Center: It offers drop-in peer tutoring in subjects such as Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Accounting, and Engineering, and individual academic planning, support and coaching. Online tutoring is also available. Check the website for tutoring schedules. Visit the Learning Center here.
- Supplemental Instruction: It offersfree, pear-led review sessions for historically difficult courses. Research indicates students who attend SI sessions on a regular basis earn half to a whole letter grade higher than students who do not attend SI Sessions. Visit Supplemental Instruction here.
- PADR: PADR (Programs for Academic Development and Retention) provides academic and personal management skills for success in college and beyond. Visit PADR here.
- TSI: TSI (Texas Success Initiative) is a developmental education program mandated by the state of Texas to provide additional support to students who have not demonstrated college-readiness in reading, writing, and mathematics. Visit TSI here.
The University Writing Center:
It assists students or faculty in writing education by creating a supportive environment in which writers and their readers can work effectively one-to-one, both face-to-face as well as onscreen and online. Onsite and Online tutoring is available.
Undergraduate, Graduate students and Faculty and Staff
Main Physical Location: Room 175 English/Philosophy Building
Appointments: Call 806.742.2476 Ext. 2 or drop-in
Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Researchers-
Graduate Student Writing Center
Physical Location: Room 43 Administration Building
Appointments: Call 806.742.2476 Ext. 1 or drop-in
Student Disability Services:
- It helps to enhance each student's learning through the provision of programs and services for students with a disability. Students must first apply for services. SDS provides reasonable accommodations based on the documented need of the student. Some other services provided can include interpreters, and drop-in tutoring among others. Learn more about SDS here.
- The TECHniques Center is part of SDS and is a fee-for-service program which offers one-on-on tutoring throughout the week with assigned tutors and weekly sessions with an Academic Counselor to meet the needs and promote the retention of undergraduate students with documented evidence of learning disabilities, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and Autism Spectrum disorders. It is the only tutoring program of its kind in Texas! Learn more about the TECHniques Center here.
Tutoring & Study Center: (Missouri Club)
This is a free tutoring service provided by the Department of Mathematics & Statistics for those TTU students taking lower level math and statistics courses.
Main Physical Location: Math Bldg. Room 106
Free Tutoring for Students in Housing:
This is a free tutoring service offered to any student that lives on campus.
Students may stop by a tutoring lounge Sunday-Wednesday from 7-10 pm for
assistance in math, chemistry, biology physics, political science, history,
and writing. Tutoring lounges are located in Chitwood/Weymouth, Hulen/Clement,
Wall/Gates,Horn/Knapp, Bledsoe/Gordon Murray, and Stangel/Murdough. A full
schedule can be found at www.depts.ttu.edu/housing/tutoring.
Each academic department has a list of approved tutors to pick from for tutoring, usually for a nominal fee. Contact the department in the subject in which you are needing a tutor.
Students using Federal VA Programs of Education:
Students using Federal VA Programs of Education under Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606 (except not chapters 1607 or 31) enrolled at a half-time rate or above may be eligible for reimbursement of money paid for tutorial assistance. The monthly rate may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under chapters 30, 32, 33 and 1606. There is no entitlement charge under chapter 35. Instructions and (2) forms for this program are available on our Federal Educational Benefits tab.
Tutor.com for U.S. Military is a program provided by the U.S. Department of Defense offering online tutoring at no cost to DoD service members. You can visit Tutor.com here to check for eligibility.