Student Spotlight: Rachel Rush
Name: Rachel Rush; Location: France/Germany; Program: Faculty-Led Agricultural Education Study Abroad; Timeframe: May 23-Jun. 6, 2016; Major: Agricultural Communications; Classification: Senior; Hometown: Lubbock, Texas
- My Experience: I loved every part of my cultural experience. Agriculture in the European Union is completely different from America, and I had a great time learning about the traditions of German agriculture and way of life.
- Why Go: I decided to study abroad because Dr. [Steve] Fraze and Dr. [Cindy] Akers were leading the trip and they are two of my favorite professors. Studying abroad opened my eyes to a whole new set of experiences that I couldn't replace.
- Any Advice: Try learning a few phrases in the language of the country you are visiting, and invest in a camera and comfortable shoes.
- Favorite Part: Eating gelato every single day for two weeks straight. I love gelato, it's amazing.
- Looking Ahead: This was my first time out of the country and out of the southern United States. Since my trip, I learned that I love to travel! Looking toward the future, my study abroad experience has helped me to have a more open mind about agricultural practices in other parts of the world.
This German-based Agricultural Education faculty-led study abroad program offered students an opportunity to visit multiple historic French and German cities and learn about the agricultural practices and cultures in the European Union. The program exposed students to organic crop and livestock production operations; traditional culture and history of the countries; and tours of universities, the Bayer Crop Science Headquarter, the John Deere Headquarter, and among many other organizations.
CONTACT: Cindy Akers, Associate Dean for Academic and Student Programs, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
0216NM18 / Editor's Note: For detailed information on CASNR Study Abroad programs and how to apply, click here.
- Learn with CASNR Faculty, click here for more information
Faculty Led (programs led by CASNR Faculty)
- The Horse in World Art - TTU Center in Sevilla
- Spanish Wine & Tourism - TTU Center in Sevilla
- Futures and Options - TTU Center in Sevilla
- College of Agriculture in Spain - TTU Center in Sevilla
- Economic Policy and Agribusiness in China - Beijing, Shanghai & Tianjin, China
- Wildlife and Veterinary Issues in Africa - Bela Bela, South Africa
College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
AddressP.O. Box 42123, Lubbock, Texas 79409-2123, Dean’s Office Location: Goddard Building, Room 108