Undergraduate Program General Information
If you're interested in the science or business of animal management, our animal science
majors might be a good fit for you. And, if you want to use science to solve real-world
problems there's our food science major, which integrates microbiology, chemistry,
engineering, and nutrition around the study of food.
Why Major in Animal & Food Sciences?
You may be interested in this major if you:
- Are preparing for graduate or veterinary school.
- Are preparing for a professional school such as medical, dental or pharmacy.
- Would like a career in research relating to and/or using animals.
- Would like to manage a farm or business related to animal agriculture.
- Like to work with people in addition to animals and may be interested in a career
in technical sales or service, cooperative extension, or the promotions industry.
- Want to develop new food products
- Want to implement efficient food processes
- Want to educate the public on food safety
Career Opportunities for Graduates
The number of job openings in the agricultural industry annually exceeds the number
of available qualified graduates. A variety of career choices are available to you:
- Ag Finance
- Animal Management
- Biotechnology Research
- Cooperative Extension
- Food and flavor chemistry
- Food engineering
- Food microbiology
- Food Safety
- Genetics And Nutrition
- Graduate and professional school
- Health agencies
- Industry Relations
- Pharmaceutical Research
- Product development
- Quality Assurance
- Sales And Service
- Sensory analysis
- Technical support
- Veterinary Medicine