Texas Tech University


About Distance Learning

What is the tuition rate per course?

As a distance student, am I eligible for financial aid?

  • Distance students have the same opportunities to apply for financial aid as on-campus students do; each situation is considered on a case-by-case basis. For more information about financial aid, please refer to the Financial Aid Office's website or call an advisor at (806) 742-3681. An advisor will work with you individually to address your specific needs and concerns.

    TTU Scholarship Office: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/scholarships/

    TTU Financial Aid Office: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/financialaid/

How many hours per week can I expect to spend on a course?

  • Most students enrolled in one three-hour graduate course should expect to spend a minimum of 12 hours per week reading course materials, watching lectures via the internet, participating in class activities, and preparing course projects. There are no minimum or maximum time requirements for the course, so each student will have to determine how much time he or she needs to spend on the course in order to not only meet the course requirements but also understand the material being presented and discussed.

Will I have access to the Texas Tech University library system?

  • Yes, the Texas Tech University Library provides services and library materials to students who enroll in off-campus TTU courses. The Library's goal is to help resolve the problems faced by students who are at a distance from the campus and its information resources. The library offers a toll-free reference service: (888) 270-3369, available during normal operating  hours, and also has a science and engineering librarian who can provide assistance as well.

    TTU Library: http://library.ttu.edu/

Can a non-degree seeking student take courses? 

More information for non-degree seeking students can be found on TTU Graduate Admissions site

  • Graduate Temporary (GTMP) - A student in this category is considered a temporary non-degree student and may enroll for no more than twelve (12) hours. All GTMP students should be aware that completion of courses as a GTMP does not ensure that the student will be accepted into a degree program, nor does it ensure that any courses taken while enrolled as a GTMP will be accepted for credit if the student is subsequently accepted into a degree program. GTMP students are not eligible for financial aid. Admission decisions for GTMP applications are made by the Office of Graduate Admissions.
  • Continuing Professional Education Development (CPED) - The CPED status is designed to meet the needs of professionals such as engineers, certified public accountants, architects, social workers, teachers, and others who require continuing professional educational development. CPED students are not eligible for financial aid. Admission decisions for CPED applications are made by the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Do I need to take the GRE and what score is required?

  • Yes. The submission of GRE scores is a requirement for graduate programs. The recommended process is to submit your application, transcript, and GRE scores at the same time. The admission process is considered holistically, and thus there is no minimum score for the GRE. The average GRE score of graduate students in engineering programs at Texas Tech University is approximately 300 on the combined verbal reasoning and quantitative scores.

Should I check with my advisor before applying?

  • Please see our Master's Degrees Program page for information concerning the program in which you are interested. The names and contact information of the program advisors are included on those webpages if you have additional questions about the program before submitting your application to the Graduate School.

Who do I contact if I have problems or questions?

  • Before you register and while you are taking courses, if you have any questions or problems, please contact Distance Learning Staff first so that we can assist you. If we cannot help you specifically, we will direct you to the person or entity on campus that can.

Distance Learning Program

How long is a Master's degree program duration?

  • Most graduate programs are 36-credit hours (or 12 classes). The program duration is up to you, your time, and available finances. As a distance student, once you start, you'll be required to take at least one class each Fall and Spring semester (six years). However, distance learning students are very likely full-time employees. If you are able to add a summer class to your plan, you would complete the program sooner (four years). Many distance students successfully manage two courses each Fall and Spring semester (three years). Some students manage to earn their graduate degree in just four terms (a year and a half) by taking three courses each semester, including summer.

How many classes can I enroll in each semester?

  • Most students who enroll in the Distance Learning program are practicing engineers who are balancing career and family responsibilities. A typical course load is one (or two) course(s) per semester.

Will I have to be online at specific times or can I work at any times that are convenient for me?

  • The vast majority of distance learning courses are asynchronous, meaning that you can work with course materials at the times that are convenient for you. You will be required to meet the same project deadlines and exam schedules as the on-campus students. You will want to manage your time so that you will not rush those deadlines. Your participation in the class will not interfere with your work schedule or any of your personal commitments because you can choose the times that are most convenient for you.  Asynchronous courses do NOT display a day or time in the course offerings schedule.

    There may be a few distance learning courses that are offered each semester and conducted synchronously.  The course has a regularly scheduled meeting day and time that repeats and content is delivered by the instructor during that scheduled time.  Unless you are able to meet the attendance requirement of the scheduled class time, I do not recommend enrollment in these courses.

    Guidance for asynchronous/synchronous determination is provided at https://www.depts.ttu.edu/coe/distance/coursesoffered.php

Is the program interactive?

  • Class activities, discussions, and materials are conducted simultaneously with an on-campus section in a multimedia-capable classroom. Course lectures are recorded and published to a course video catalog. Students can access either the live stream if your schedule permits, or watch the recorded lecture videos at their convenience.

Are there time limits on the completion of the courses?

  • Courses in the distance learning program follow Texas Tech University's academic calendar and mirror course offerings available on-campus. Distance students are expected to complete the course requirements within the semester period. This includes, of course, meeting the instructor's project and exam deadlines. If unforeseen circumstances arise that will hinder your completion of the course, you should contact your instructor immediately to discuss your options.

How will I take exams?

  • Instructors will administer exams through the learning management system or other means that they have available.

How Do I...?

How do I obtain a student ID Card?

Student ID cards are available to distance education students and may provide benefits such as academic discounts when purchasing software. Students can go to the University ID web site to find out more information about Texas Tech University ID cards.

How do I drop a course or withdraw from the university?

  • If you are enrolled in two or more classes and wish to drop one, you can access your eraider account and drop the class.
  • If you are enrolled in only one class and wish to drop it, then you must withdraw from the university. You may visit the Office of the Registrar website for specific withdrawal information and instructions.
  • If you have questions about your payments or wish to discuss extenuating circumstances, please contact Student Business Services at (806)742-3272.

How do I activate my eRaider account?

You may activate your eRaider account by obtaining an Activation Code from IT Help Central at (806) 742-HELP (4357). Once you have the activation code, you will go to the eRaider website and click "Activate Account." For additional information about your eRaider account, please visit the IT Services for Students website.

How do I contact someone regarding Military and Veterans Programs?

Thanks for your service to our country. To receive a information regarding assistance and programs offered to our active and retired military personnel, please contact Military & Veterans Programs.

How Do I Contact Someone to Help with International Questions?

For all international inquiries please contact the Office of International Affairs.

How Can I Get Information regarding Scholarships/Financial Aid?

For all scholarship inquires, please contact the Scholarship Department.

For all inquires regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Department.

How do I contact the Distance Learning Program Office?

Liz Beaty, Director
Phone: (806) 834-0138

Dennis Hall, Program Manager
Phone: (806) 834-0181