Call Numbers & Book Stacks
Print materials like books and bound journals are classified and organized according to the Library of Congress (LC) classification system. A call number is an alphanumeric identifier that tells you the area/sub-area of the material and its location on the shelf.
Meaning of Call Numbers
Book title: Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works
Author: Janice (Ginny) Redish
Call number: TK 5105.888 R427 2007
- The first two lines describe the subject of the book.
TK 5105.888 = General works on web site design and development
- The third line often represents the author's last name.
R427 = Redish
- The last line represents the year of publication.
Read Call Numbers Line by Line
- Read the first line in alphabetical order: A, B, BF, C, D... L, LA, LB, LC, M, ML...
- Read the second line as a whole number: 1, 2, 3, 45, 100, 101, 1000, 2000, 2430...
- The third line is a combination of a letter and numbers. Read the letter alphabetically and then the number in numerical order. Some call numbers have more than one combination letter-number line.
- The last line is the year the book was published. Read in chronological order: 1985, 1991, 1992...
Here is a shelf of books with the call number order explained.
Note: image from online library learning center.
Call Number, Subject Area & Stacks Floor
Stacks Floor 1 (A - G)
A - General Works
B-BJ - Philosophy
BF - Psychology
BL-BX - Religion
C - Sciences of History
D - World History
E-F - History of the Americas
G-GA - Geography
GB-GC - Hydrology/ Oceanography
GE - Environmental Science
GF-GN - Anthropology
GR-GV - Folklore/ Sports/ Recreation
Stacks Floor 2 (H - L)
H - Economics/ Business
K - Political Science
L - Education
Stacks Floor 3 (M - PS 2999)
M - Music/ Dance
N - Fine Arts
PA - Greek Language and Literature; Latin Language and Literature
PE - English Language
PN - Literature(General)
PS 1-2999 - American Literature
Stacks Floor 4 (PS 3000 - QL, TL - Z)
PS 3000-9999 - American Literature
PZ - Fiction and Juveniles Belles Letters
QA - Mathematics
QB - Astronomy
QC - Physics
QD - Chemistry
QE - Geology
QH - Natural History-Biology
QK - Botany
QL - Zoology
TP - Chemical Technology
U - Military Science
Z - Library Science, Information Resources
Stacks Floor 5 (QM - TK)
QM - Human Anatomy
QP - Physiology
QR - Microbiology
R - Medicine/ Nursing
S - Agriculture
TA - Engineering(General), Civil Engineering
TC - Hydraulic Engineering, Ocean Engineering
TD - Environmental Technology, Sanitary Engineering
TJ - Mechanical Engineering and Machinery