Call Me Irresponsible
April 5, 2011
Your University Library will host an in-depth workshop, “Call Me Irresponsible: Understanding and Avoiding Scientific Misconduct,” from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. April 21 in Library Room 150.
Scientific misconduct has received a lot of attention in the media lately. Numerous allegations of misconduct by high-profile researchers have been made and in many cases, after investigation, verified.
This workshop will address questions such as:
- What constitutes scientific misconduct and how does it occur?
- To what degree is it intentional or unintentional?
- Why and how is data fabricated or falsified?
- What role does culture play in instances of misconduct?
- How does miscitation happen and what are the consequences?
- What are the best ways to avoid self-plagiarism?
- How common a practice is ghostwriting and what is its impact on science and society?
Faculty, students and postdocs are welcome!