Academic Major Checklist:
Is This Major Right for Me
-Why are you considering this major?
-How is this major compatible with your personal values, skills, interests, and goals?
Run a "what-if" degree audit & look up the 4-year plan in the catalog.
review course descriptions for the required courses.
do the courses look interesting?
___ yes, all of them
___ some of them
___ only a few of them
___none of them
-What classes are you most excited about?
-What classes are you least excited about?
Look at all of the courses required for this major.
Do you have the skills and interest to complete these courses?
How does this major relate to your career interests?
What is a minor that would complement this major or give you an opportunity to explore a personal area of interest?
Can you incorporate study abroad, student organization involvement, internships, research or other experiences?
How confident are you that this major is a good fit for you? (5 = most confident)
What will you do with this major?
• Get declared! See the advisor for your top choice major
• Join and participate in student organizations related to academic/career path
• Make connections with faculty
• Find additional opportunities outside of campus to grow and develop
• Find a job or an internship that corresponds to academic/career path
• Utilize support services such as tutoring, office hours, undergraduate research, mentoring, etc…