Computer & Software Requirements
Minimum Laptop Requirements
The laptop should meet or exceed the following specifications.
- Processor | Current generation Apple Silicon CPU or Intel i7 2.1gHz or greater or AMD equivalent
- Memory | 16GB RAM
- Storage | 512GB or more (NMVe or SSD)
- Display | 1920x1080 or higher resolution
- Networking | Wireless dual-band or 5Ghz
- Graphics | OpenGL 4.1/DirectX 12 capable with 2GB of dedicated video RAM or Apple Silicon graphics
Refer to the system requirements of these products which are used in our program:
- Photoshop system requirements (adobe.com)
- Rhino - System Requirements (rhino3d.com)
- System requirements for Revit 2022 products | Autodesk
- Connectivity | HDMI connection (built in or via adapter)
- Warranty | 3 years or greater
- Backup | external disk or cloud storage
At this time some of the software used in the architecture program is not fully compatible with Apple Silicon (M1 & M2 processors.) It is possible to run this software under Windows using Parallels for an additional cost. The licensing and configuration of this software is the responsibility of the student and no support is provided by the Huckabee College of Architecture.
Contact the Architecture IT department with any questions about these computer recommendations.
- Visit notebookcheck.net to compare the performance of all components of the computer (such as the video card or CPU) being considered for purchase with those in the specification.
- Laptops do not allow the addition of new video hardware. For the laptop to be capable of running the 3D software applications used in our program, it is important to choose a video card that meets or exceeds the minimum specifications. No laptops with only an Intel video card meet these requirements, though some laptops contain a power-saving Intel card and a performance graphics card. All that is required is that one of the installed graphics cards meets the computer requirements.
Discounted Laptops for TTU Huckabee College of Architecture Students
Apple Education Store with discounts for students
Dell University Program for the Huckabee College of Architecture
Creation Engine academic software discounts for students.
Software Available to Students for Free or Low Cost
AutoDesk software (e.g. Revit and AutoCAD) used in the program is free for educational use.
Visit the AutoDesk Educational Community to create a new account using your TTU email address and to verify your educational status. Once verified you can download most AutoDesk products and receive a license to use the software for the next year.
The Adobe Creative Cloud All Apps plan is available to students at an initial cost of $239.99 per year (billed monthly or annually). The Creative Suite includes Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign which are used to create and print student work. Use your personal email address instead of your TTU email address to create an account with Adobe when purchasing the subscription.
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) are free for student use from https://office.com and can be used in a web browser or installed on your computer. Sign into Office programs or Office.com using your TTU email address and password.
Rhino 3D is used in the program but does not need to be purchased separately. A course fee is used to purchase a discounted license for each student in the spring semester of the first-year studio. We recommend that students create an account at Rhino3D.com and register the software to the Cloud Zoo using the license key they receive.