About the College of Education
Some of our college's distinctions include:
- Home of two of the University’s highest award holders: Horn Professorships
- Home of the Helen Devitt Jones Chair in Education
- Home of the Helen Devitt Jones Professorship in Professional Education
- Home of the Jere Lynn Burkhart Chair in Autism
- One of 16 universities in the country to have an Orientation and Mobility Program
- Home of the largest children’s literature collection in the Southwest, 6000 volumes, including a complete Caldecott collection
- 2009 certification pass rate was 97.5%
- Accredited by 9 accrediting agencies:
- Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals
- Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- Council for Exceptional Children
- National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (One of 11 Colleges of Education in Texas)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teachers Association
- Texas Education Agency
Check out our Student Life section for details on all our graduate and undergraduate student organizations!
Through meaningful partnerships with the schools, agencies, and communities that we serve, the College of Education (COE) will produce measurably best educators in the U.S. and provide programs, services, and research that maximize student success from early childhood through graduate education.
The College of Education through cutting-edge programs, research and services will lead a transformation in American educator preparation, client/university partnerships, and norms/structures and practices in higher education. We are committed to deep engagement with local, regional, state, national, and international partners for mutual collaboration, innovation and improvement.
Our goal is to produce the measurably best educators in the country. See how we're doing with our self-assessments, accreditations, and strategic plans.