You asked. We delivered.
Here are some of the ways we improved the Libraries in 2018!
- Installed 6 new phone charging stations
- Attached wallet-size maps to group study room keys to make the study rooms easier to locate and added digital signage on some stacks floors
- Launched a new study room reservation system (Spring 2019)
- Reduced color printing costs
- Added and relocated links to make it easier to apply for student jobs from the website
We also introduced email subscription alerts about workshops and events which you can use to keep in the loop with our upcoming Library workshops!
More improvements planned
Beyond the existing improvements, we are working behind the scenes to improve three other areas:
- Design new research guides with a simplified layout based on student and faculty feedback
- Post SmartKapp whiteboard instructions in group study rooms
- Improve navigation and search features for databases and e-journals
These improvements would not be possible without your feedback. So here is a sample of your comments we've heard over this past year:
|What we're doing well||What was a concern|
|Assistance from Library employees. "I needed help at the main library a few weeks ago and the staff was outstanding."||Excessive noise levels. "Library staff do not enforce the 'quiet' rules in quiet areas of the library, and they allow people to get overly loud in the non-quiet areas."|
|Interlibrary loan. "Document Delivery is the most magical, wonderful thing. I use them all the time to get books for classes I plan to teach or just when a new book comes out that sounds cool."||Library spaces needing improvement. "I've felt very uncomfortable looking for books before because of poor lighting—either there were no lights or the bulbs were out—and I did my best to grab my book and hurry off the floor."|
|Study spaces. "I love the University Library, especially during midterm and finals, because I'm able to reserve a private study room on a quiet floor to study in."||Not knowing about all the resources offered by the Library. "It seems there are a lot of things I was unaware of. I wish it was publicized better!"|
Learn about improvements we made in 2017.
Your opinion matters. To get involved, look for the UX Café to tell us about your User eXperiences in the Library. We provide coffee and snacks in exchange for about 10 minutes of your time. Take the annual student services survey—especially the University Libraries portion.Or apply to join the Library Student Advisory Board.
It's never an individual in libraries—it's always a team. We're working to improve your experience at the Libraries, and we'd like to hear from you. Your feedback is important to us and impacts decisions we make. Please send your comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.