You asked. We delivered.
Here are some of the recent improvements we've made at the Libraries!
- Opened 2 podcast studios—requested by students on the annual survey—thanks to a donation by Todd and Linda Smith
- Extended operating hours at the University Library
- Extended ‘Ask a Librarian' chat hours
- Opened the Research Hub—a study space with experts who can assist you with all phases of research
- Improved the accessibility of our online research guides
- Improved the accessibility of our website
- Relocated 2 printers closer to library entrance
- Re-opened laptop checkout
- Installed lockers for student use
- Added more whiteboards on wheels to study spaces
- Configured and enhanced Lean Library—a browser extension that makes it easier to get full-text articles and other library resources
- Enhanced the personal librarians webpage
- Updated email courtesy notices about due dates
- Extended loan periods for books so you can keep them longer
- Added new Makerspace services
More improvements planned
Beyond the existing improvements, User Experience is working behind the scenes to improve study spaces:
- Develop an enhanced study spaces webpage to make it easier to choose and reserve the space you want to use.
- Revitalize spaces on Stacks 5, the ground floor, and other areas to be more comfortable for studying.
These improvements would not be possible without your feedback. So here is a sample of your comments we've heard over this past year:
|What we're doing well
|What was a concern
|Assistance from Library employees. "I LOVE the Tech library. People are always helpful there. I get what I need 98% of the time." “The librarians do a great job at helping get access to resources and finding what I needed.”
|Uncomfortable chairs in study spaces. “I never saw a personal study area that has comfortable seating like I have seen in other universities. I don't know if it's because I haven't looked enough but this is really important for me. If we had some I would visit the library more often.”
|Interlibrary loan. "Document delivery service is outstanding. Thank you to the TTU librarians and staff for delivery journal articles so quickly! You are a huge help!"
|Lack of quiet study spaces. “Having comfortable, quiet, distraction-free spaces like study carrels are important…Right now, there is no place quiet to work. In my carrel, people outside are doing group study or having Skype conversations.”
|Online databases. “Online resources are great 👍 as I have not any issues yet .. Great help from online library 📚 resources.”
|Inadequate WiFi and power outlets. “I always go to the 1st floor of the stacks in the library and I wish there were outlets in the individual study cubbies on the back wall... I also find that in the stacks the wifi doesn't work for me, and if it does it is a very weak connection.”
Your opinion matters. There are lots of ways to get involved and share your perspective. Look for the UX Café to tell us about your User eXperiences in the Library. Apply to join the Library Student Advisory Board. Take the annual student services survey—especially the University Libraries portion.
It's never an individual in libraries—it's always a team. We're working to improve your experience at the Libraries, and we'd like to hear from you. Your feedback is important to us and impacts decisions we make. Please send your comments and suggestions to email@example.com.